Small Ash Spoon

Ok! I promise I didn’t plan on that title, but I’m keeping it as is, :rofl:.

First time making something out of green wood, and boy does it have a lot of threads that come off during shaping. O_o.

Here is after I split the pieces in half with the one on the left having a piece removed with a chissel to make it more rectangular.

And here is the branch set into my make-shift vice. After this step, I used my draw knife to remove the bark and outer wood.

Granted, the branch is just too small to do a lot, but meh, so far this looks pretty nifty.

14 Likes

It looks so cool! I’m super interested in how it might change while drying.

1 Like

Same here. Everything in my head is telling me it’s going to crack a lot, heh, but what little I can find (outside of videos I’ve seen) that explain it a little further is it’s pretty much the same method as drying logs using wax, etc, to keep them from splitting. :man_shrugging:t3: Definitely a “wait and see” learning experience, heh.

4 Likes

What a neat little spoon!

You are pretty adventurous with your woodworking! Cute spoon- the title is a crack-up, too!

1 Like

Agreed, the title is perfect, lol. It’s such a cute looking little spoon!

1 Like

Your small ash spoon is very cute, like the play on words title.

1 Like

:confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: Congratulations! This amazing project is one of this weeks Featured Projects! :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

I love this cheery little spoon. :heart::heart:

1 Like

Such a lovely small ash spoon. And the title is perfect lol.

I’m so impressed by woodworking in general, but especially utensil making… the patience is admirable and the product is beautiful.

I’m curious to know if you get a lot of splinters doing something like this.

Surprisingly no. I have more issues with the tools over the wood, but that’s mostly just because of my health issues that cause me not to be as alert as I used to be. However, the tools that I use usually makes the things smooth enough that I can’t really get any splinters, plus the wood I choose to use doesn’t splinter that much. Such as if I were working with plywood, particle board, or any other composite wooded materials, then the possibility of getting splinters would be increased by a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering!

Very cool!