Smiling Sunshine Wall Hanging

When I signed up for the Box of Summer Swap and was partnered with Kittykill, I was excited to see Box of Sunshine on her theme list. She asked for decor for her patio and inspiration struck. I love making bright, happy sunshine art and I immediately started thinking of ways to create something for her that was weather friendly. I ended up going to the store and purchasing two sizes of wooden circles, stained them with bright wood stain to keep the woodgrain showing, then accented with metallic gold, posca markers, and black paint. I sprayed it with several coats of poly to make it safe to live outside. The outside circle is 9", so it ended up being a larger piece for extra added happiness!

Here is a photo of it hanging outside in my garden. It was raining when I took photos and look how much it brightened up the area:

and a closer shot inside the house:

Before adding the final lines/touches with posca pens and spray:

27 Likes

I am really, really loving this sunshiney theme you’ve been developing lately. That bright happy face is a great signature for you, fits you super well. I love it just as much as your charming monsters :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Your suns always look so cheerful and happy. I love that you did the two wooden circles for added dimension. The metallic adds a nice bright touch too. Absolutely adorable!

3 Likes

You can’t look at this joyful fellow and not smile. He’s a delight! I love that you also weather-proofed him to give him longevity. Long may he (combat the) rain!

2 Likes

My goodness this is joyous and cute! I know the weather where kittykill is has been so gloomy lately, so I bet this is making a big difference to her!

3 Likes

So cheerful! This will brighten up even the gloomiest days!!

2 Likes

Adorable!! Love that smiling face!!

2 Likes

This is so happy and lovely! Your work is always so well thought through and beautifully finished too!!

2 Likes

I love this so much!
:heart_eyes:

1 Like

:rainbow: :comet: :rocket: Your project is out of this world! That’s why it is one of this week’s Featured Projects! CONGRATS! :rocket: :comet: :rainbow:

1 Like

That is a wonderful handmade gift!
I love it.

1 Like

Happy, happy happy sunshine!

1 Like

That’s so sweet. It’s impossible to look at it and not smile!

1 Like

It’s so happy! I love the little sweet face. I’m glad you took two pics so you can see the shiny gold. It reminds me of the tv show Adventure Time. It’s a great piece of artwork.

1 Like

I love it so much!!! It is so bright and happy

1 Like