Snail Mosaic Crochet Mug Rug

I recently finished this mug rug for @MightyMitochondria in the Mug Rug Round 2 Swap. I just moved across states, so most of my crafting supplies, including all my fabric and thread are still packed. Therefore I needed to create something solely from yarn, as I kept my small crochet bag of hooks with me during the move. Since I wanted to learn mosaic crochet for awhile now, I decided to use the swap as the perfect time to do so. One of the themes Rose mentioned loving is snails, so I went looking for a snail themed pattern, and found this one from C Bird Crochet Patterns on Etsy. Even though I was a newbie with the technique (which is intended for just 2 colors of yarn), and this one had a bunch of extra color switching, I found the pattern incredibly well written and clear to follow.

The yarn came in a bundle of mini skeins called Caron Little Crafties. It came with 20 colors, so I could have lots of options, without ending up with tons of full size skeins in my stash. I used up most of the background green, and a little over half of the brown, so all in all, there is lots of yardage, even in these small skeins.

Finally since mosaic crochet is always done from the same side, and by switching colors each row, you end up with two ends to weave in on every single row. Or you can do something fun with them, like make two color fringe! I enjoyed taking the time to learn both the new crochet technique, and a new finishing technique.

14 Likes

It turned out really pretty! I can see cookies hiding in those flowers, which add a lot of depth.

I will have to try this technique…it looks like it was a lot of fun!

1 Like

This is just the most adorable little rug! I’m in awe of your skills, lady…let me just try this new-to-me technique in the middle of moving and throwing a b-day party for my one-year old…and totally rock it!! :metal:

2 Likes

Love the fringe and those 3-D flowers! Congrats on learning the new technique.

1 Like

So sweet & cheery & fun!!

1 Like

The color picks for this are so groovy I love it! And the fringe fits it perfectly :snail:

1 Like

How cool is this? What a great way to complete the brief in your own, creative way.

1 Like

I adore this! It’s so precious and sweet! Lovely work.

1 Like

I love this.

1 Like