Snail pincushion and threadcatcher - fabric sculpture

I made this snail for the talented and delightful @Wulf for the two fat quarters swap on the other site. I had so much fun making this guy!

I wanted to make something different, and I just made this up as I went along. I made a simple wire armature for the snail body and covered it with fabric and batting, glass bead eyes. I cut the shell from another FQ, reinforced the widest bit with heavy interfacing, lightly stuffed and hand-stitched into shape. I covered a circle of mat board with fabric and glued into the shell to form a rigid threadcatcher.

Only using two FQs was quite the design constraint! I really enjoyed making him, and he is one of a kind :snail:

35 Likes

Whoa! He’s awesome!!

Mind blown.

1 Like

Eek! I love him. Super unique!!

1 Like

This is soooooo cute and clever!! And the thread cover doubles to cover the needles and keep them from stabbing people… And did I mention it’s cute?! Love this sooooo much!!!

1 Like

Such a cute little feller!

1 Like

This is so cute! His snail shell reminds me of a wizarding hat! Great job.

1 Like

his eyes look like henson puppet eyes! as if he were gliding across the screen in Labyrinth!!! Oh my lawsy day!!

Lucky, Wulf!

3 Likes

I remember admiring this on the other site. It is freaking awesome! So glad you decided to post pics of it here :smiley:

1 Like

That is amazing! I love how you designed the antenna!

1 Like

Honestly, just wow! He looks so good, especially for having been made up as you go.

1 Like

Seriously creative!

1 Like

What the what?! This guy looks like he crawled right out of the Labyrinth and onto the sewing table. He’s so awesome! I especially love how you did the shell and his wee eyes! :snail:

1 Like

This is amazing! I love how the shell is removable to make the thread catcher, but then neatly covers the pins when it’s not in use. So cleverly designed!

1 Like

That is really cool. Ok, ingenious yes but also just lovely to look at.

1 Like

Super cute and clever!

1 Like

Adorable

1 Like

So precious! Snails are one of my favorite animals. I love how functional this little guy is, while also looking so awesome. I’m sure he’ll have a great new home with the recipient!

1 Like

Super clever and cute, to boot! Love the fabric you chose for the shell.

1 Like

AWHHH! How ADORABLE! What a great design! I love this!

1 Like

He’s adorable. And useful. That’s the best.

1 Like