SOCKALONG with me - Knit, Crochet, Loom

I signed up, too! I haven’t knit socks yet, so here we go…thanks for sharing!

What size needles do you use? I have size 3 DPNs, hoping that will work and I don’t need to buy any… :crossed_fingers:

I have some sock yarn in my stash, but it’s “super fine” and I only got one ball. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’d say it will depend on what yarn you end up choosing. I used 2.75s on the Christmas socks (label said US sizes 2-3) then you’ll just have to note/adjuist your tension/gauge.

3 Likes

Bah…the yarn I’m looking at says size 2. I should use the right ones…

OK, proper yarn and needles are on the way. Let’s do this! :yarn: :fist:

2 Likes

I signed up as well…I forgot that I got a bunch of sock supplies like cable needles and a measuring gauge…it would be nice if I used them!

I have some (lots) of sock yarn to use…but, I really do like Patons yarn because it has a mix of nylon, which is way more durable than just wool…

It doesn’t start until the 18th, so I might try to find some nylon yarn to knit into my regular yarn…

EDITED: I have some nylon blend fingering yarns in stash already…just need to do a burn test to see which ones…I recognized the names when I was checking out sock yarns with nylon…hope I stuck the labels in the middle when I wound them up!

4 Likes

Would cotton be a bad choice, do you think? I have a fair amount of 100% cotton that might be happy to see the light of day…

1 Like

Cotton would be good for shorter socks, but I find there is not enough stretch but it still gets “saggy” for longer socks…I also don’t like the feel of cotton on my feet…I can feel the texture and it feels damp to me all the time…

I’ve made socks from cotton yarns for others and they seem to love them…I have a few pair that I either need to from or pass on…I have never worn them…

3 Likes

So what i’m hearing here is “AntBee,go buy some yarn.”
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

…ha ha You hear what you want…

or, you can hint that I can look through my stash and destash…always an option…lol

2 Likes

It looks like the big box yarn suppliers here are woefully under representing sock yarns, Kroy specifically. I’m really debating the cotton because it would count as a stash bust, but I don’t want it to be a waste if they are not good as socks. Hmm.
There’s an independent yarn shop near me that I might pop into to see if she has something comparable to the kroy that I can sub in. Nice to support a local business, too.

3 Likes

I was ogling that Molly Weasley yarn again on etsy with a mind to use it in the sock along but it looks like I’d be risking running out of yarn. It’s $25 per 463 yards skein and the Kroy says I would need at least three of their 166/ball yarns putting the estimated need at 498 yards. 35 yards is quite the yarn Hail Mary, not sure I have the steel nerves for that rich a game of yarn chicken. And I really can’t justify $50 to make a pair of socks I may or may not like.

If you actually read all that, thanks and have a snack or something. Looks like my New Year’s resolution to stop overthinking things is really panning out, so that’s good. lol

5 Likes

You could do stripes, like @sheepBlue 's groovy sweater!
I am no help, I know. Sorry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

When I find a beautiful expensive yarn, I also try to pair it with a solid or less expensive yarn. You can design your socks around the yarn…use the fabulous yarn for the leg and maybe the less expensive part for the heel and toe…you can also have a basic solid to use for all the socks you make for the toes and heels…that way, you will use only one skein…I rarely buy more than one skein for socks…you can also shorten the leg and make shorter socks…or pick a pattern with plainer details…stripes are the result of my wanting to use up all my little bits of expensive yarn! lol They usually turn out to be my favorites!

4 Likes

I was thinking that maybe this pattern with the cables may not be the best pattern for the variegated fancy yarn. I like the idea of toes and heels in a solid (and in my case cheaper) yarn, that always looks sharp (and mends can be economical in those high-wear locations).

What do you think about cabling with a highly variegated yarn? I’m thinking the visuals might get too muddy.

3 Likes

My personal preference is not to make cables with lots of color.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking for this yarn, too. Thanks.
Ok, back to the “go visit the local yarn lady” plan…

3 Likes

Yeah, for a cabled pattern I’d pick a solid or something with minimal varigation.

Take a look at the project pictures here for example to see what a cabled pattern looks like in different colourways:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basic-cabled-socks/people

Self striping, dark and busy colourways camouflage the pattern.

2 Likes

Hahaha…welp. The yarn I ordered for these socks is pretty colorful! :sweat_smile: I haven’t done cables so it didn’t occur to me that the color wouldn’t be good. I just picked on a whim. :woman_shrugging:

I am still learning about what yarn to use with what pattern, etc. That’s proving harder for me than learning the actual stitches!

I’m actually having this concern with the herringbone cowl I’m working on. But I’ve come too far to go back now, lol. I’ll just hope for the best at the end.

5 Likes

I dont think colorful and cables would be “bad” (can colorful socks EVER be bad?? I think not!) just you won’t see the pattern of the cables as clearly with a fast switching variegated as with a solid what with the eye-catching change-up.

For me this along is to learn toe-up more than anything else (for future projects), so I might just go grab any sock old yarn that I like well enough to practice on and bonus if i’ll wear whatever comes of it.

5 Likes

So true! I’m learning all the things. I will have fun and enjoy the journey with you guys no matter how they come out!

2 Likes

So true…plus, it can be a learning experience if you haven’t done a lot of cables…no sock is bad, so use what you have!

I found a skein of muted greys and browns…I’ll post a picture later…I am going to make it work as I don’t have enough of any one color solid…I am going to do the toes and heels in solid grey.

I also have not done toe up…It makes more sense to me to do that and it would help me control how long I can make the leg part!

2 Likes