SOCKALONG with me - Knit, Crochet, Loom

I tried them. I found them to be more fiddly than DPNS. But they are worth a try!

2 Likes

My wife just bought a vintage sock machine. She has been wanting one for the last year. She’ll make a few socks, then probably quit, but it really is an amazing little machine. Good news is that we can always sell it when the interest wanes.
Anybody got sock yarn?

7 Likes

This is amazing!! I love the big old cone yarn…do you know how many socks it makes per cone? How long does it take to set up? I know it took me a long time to set up a knitting machines, which is why I no longer have it…

hey…warm feet this winter will be wonderful!

2 Likes

I know nothing! It’s my wife’s project. I’ll learn, but I am staying out of the way for now, except for the oohs and aahs and that’s so cool comments. She managed to knit a tube today, so there is hope!

5 Likes

That is really cool! Good luck to her! Post pics of her success!

2 Likes

I’ve never seen a thing like that but it looks amazing, and knitting all of this in a day is definitely faster than knitting by hand even if it’s a lot of work setting it up!

I bought some more sock yarn today. I couldn’t resist, it was cheap and the mornings and evenings are getting colder here.

2 Likes

Finished sock 1 of 6!

9 Likes

Nice! Is it early Christmas crafting? It looks very festive.

2 Likes

where did you get your yarn?

3 Likes

Love the festi yarn.

2 Likes

Local fabric shop! It was €3,20 for a 100 gr ball, big enough for a pair of normal socks and a pair of ankle socks. I really wasn’t planning on buying more sock yarn, but this one was really nice and also quite cheap.
My only excuse is I really do knit socks and also really do wear them.

3 Likes

I’m always wearing out socks…especially my favorite happy socks (any socks that cheer me up when I wear them). and I love mismatched socks. I always wear socks in the winter out and about or at home, but in the summer? Bare feet rule! I hate putting socks on to wear tennis shoes or hiking boots and they come off fast.

Last night’s practice sock bit the dust at the heel. Learning curve, but my DW is tenatious.

2 Likes

My first pair of regular knitted socks was basically a tube…it took me a while to figure out the heel as well and now, it is my favorite part!

@antbee…dang, I need to remember that if I am not fond of a color of yarn, I can always use it in a stripe! I love the mix of colors!

I am using most of my sock yarn up for other projects. I don’t like the feel of socks on my feet at all, even when it is cold. I do have nice moccasins with a warm fleece lining. I love making socks for others who enjoy them!

3 Likes

“Early” “late” poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh.

I had started them too late to wear for last year and am hoping to finish pairs for each of the 3 of us for this year. That one is for my husband who has the largest feet (US Mens sze 11). Then I’ll do my 4 year old daughter’s and if there’s time I’ll do mine.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to learn to knit! I can crochet a bit but haven’t in awhile. But have always wanted to learn knitting. Do any of you have any tips on good videos or books? I’m basically a visual learner but both would be even better.

5 Likes

Head to YouTube and keep watching videos until you find some that make sense. And look into local yarn shops, they often have classes and can also help fix mishaps or explain things.
And practice. Make an ugly scarf or wonky dishcloth, your first tries may be a bit weurd looking. But keep on knitting.

4 Likes

I used this 14-day series to reteach myself how to knit a couple years ago.

I hadn’t successfully picked up needles since 3rd grade before this series. I still frequent YouTube for tricky stitches or to remember the difference between M1L and M1R, for example.

I also recommend sheep and stitch on YouTube. She shows you how to do every step when you’re ready for a project!

4 Likes

I highly recommend The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe. It is a small but fat book that I reference all the time for quick answers, stitches, trouble shooting, etc. It is written in such a way that you can find answers to almost every question you can ask. I think every knitter has to go find something if it is not a stitch that is done all the time. Even after years of making socks, I have to review the Kitchener Stitch to finish off my toes!

5 Likes

My grandma told me she had to look up how to cast on the other day! She has knit each of her great-grandchildren a blanket (ten so far) and made her grandkids sweaters when we were little, but yeah, take a break and poof! “How did I do that again?”

I should probably invest in a reference book. I have been thinking about my reliance on YouTube lately and feeling like there’s no way I would be doing half of the things I am without it…

6 Likes

If you would really like to make socks I think you could find a good sock tutorial and just go for it. The first one might not be pretty, but it’s more fun to make something you want.

Here’s one that looks reasonably detailed:

If you would like a more forgiving item to practice on dishcloths are good for getting the feel for the motions, and quick to make. Plus, a dishcloth can be weird from behinner mistakes and still useful. Avoid scarves if you’re easily bored.

Knitting in the round is awkward the first few rows, no matter if you use double pointed needles or circulars. One trick to use is to knit back and forth for the first couple rows and then join. That also reduces the risk for accidental moebius knitting from joining twisted.

I’d suggest using a wool/nylon blend for beginner socks. Unless you love darning socks you’ll want that nylon :sweat_smile:

3 Likes