SOCKALONG with me - Knit, Crochet, Loom

I like a longer sock myself. If most skeins yeild a shorter pair, there would only be enough for one and a happy bit of left over yarn for other crafts.
I think I’ll make it a goal to finally learn how to knit socks in 2022. If I only ever make one of each yarn I’ll never get bored & will happily wear mismatches.

2 Likes

If you have a brand new skein of sock yarn, it’s typically enough to make a pair of longer socks. I am just doing ankle socks because of the leftover bits I’m working with.

4 Likes

Hell yeah for stash busting! Your socks are beautiful darling.

3 Likes

I wanted to try toe up 2 at a time.

They do look long enough.

5 Likes

Ooh that yarn looks yummy! Definitely long enough :smiley: I need to try toe-up (maybe next time I want a sock on the needles). Hard to stray away from a pattern once I get comfortable with it.

2 Likes

Great choice of needles for the project. Those red cables are very cooperative for magic loop!

2 Likes

That’s my experience as well - the socks I knit for myself are 9,5 inch for the foot and 8 inch for the leg and I need around 60 gr for that. One 100 gr ball yields me one pair of normal socks and almost one pair of ankle socks, I usually need leftovers for the toe.

I can only knit socks the way grandma taught me - top down on 4 needles. Circular needles look intimidating!

1 Like

I’d likely default to however I was first taught & I always wanted to learn how from somebody but it just hasn’t happened.
Since I will be learning from the great teacher that is the interwebz, I get to choose my teacher & technique. I know myself, if not doing 2 at once, that second sock ain’t never gettin’ made!

3 Likes

That’s a good way of thinking! You don’t want a whole pile of orphan socks (unless planned!). Knitting 2 together from the toe up seems a really convenient way of using up leftovers. You can just knit and knit and knit until all the yarn is gone.

3 Likes

I love using DPN’s for sock…I have tried two at a time and just confused myself. I also tried toe up but the heel threw me off…I tend to use the same pattern over and over and just change the leg part a bit.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried Addi Crasytrio flexible knitting needles? They look like something that could be worth trying out and I got a gift voucher for a pretty large amount of € from work.

2 Likes

I have finally finished another pair of socks for my friend. :slight_smile: Same yarn as the last pair, but now I had two half-used skeins and one new. Its so fun when the yarn is self-striping, and you might not get two look-a-likes.

And scrolling through the replies, I see that I havent posted the first pair I made for my friend. He bought yarn, so I could do two pairs. You get one pair of of two skeins, and two pairs out of three skeins. :smiley:
So here is the first pair he got, where I tried to make them look a-like.
sockr_medium2

7 Likes

Nice! Your friend is lucky.

I like that about self-striping yarn as well. I knitted a pair for myself a couple of weeks ago. I don’t try to match the socks at all.

8 Likes

They look pretty well matched !

3 Likes

:tada::tada: Announcement :tada::tada:

There is a new sitewide craft challenge contest. If you have made something inspired by this(or any other) craftalong, then this challenge is for you.
Inspired-along 2022 lettuce craft challenge

4 Likes

ooh! maybe this will motivate me to finish the sock and a half left in my Christmas sock project! haha

5 Likes

lol I have decided that 2022 is the year to finish the other socks…I have quite a few one socks that need partners!

5 Likes

So many cool socks! What a fun -along to scroll through!

1 Like

I have made a pair of socks with some left-over yarn I got from my mum. It was enough to make a pair for my niece who is 4 years old. Now I will cast on a pair for my nephew who is 2. Also with some left over yarn.

7 Likes

You can probably hear me from there yelling. “OMG I LOVE THEM!!” haha

2 Likes