Space Lantern

I made this for @Camelama in the Light It Up Swap! I wanted to do something based on our shared love of space.

It’s made with 80lb cover stock, white parchment-y vellum, and macramé cord. I stuck the vellum and stock pieces together with adhesive, to reduce the light-escaping gaps. It includes a color-changing LED bulb with remote, attached to a hanging lamp cord.

I designed the sphere sections and layout in Silhouette Studio, and converted some stencil graphics into cut paths for the focal points.

(Secret: I originally designed this to be an 8 section sphere, but had to remove one due to the bulk of everything coming together. It featured Earth, as seen below.)

The cover stock was a beast to cut, with the recommended settings as two passes at the slowest speed. After MANY failed attempts and A LOT of time, it finally came together. I ended up on three passes, max pressure, and four speed. The cover stock sections took about 40 minutes each to cut.

Failed cutting. :upside_down_face: :smile:

The vellum sheets were very easy to cut. :smiley:

Stitching it all together was also quite a task. I improvised with some extra cord to finish off the top and bottom.

Here’s some more photos of it lit up:

And in the dark:

Here is a quick video of all the sides lighted, too:

Thanks for taking a look!

29 Likes

This is such a cool project! The design and execution are pure perfection and the color changing aspect adds an extra element of fun.

I also have a Silhouette machine and I sympathize with your cutting woes! Finding the right setting can be such a challenge. Sometimes more so than adjusting a design in the first place!

3 Likes

It’s so glorious! I light it up every evening. I can’t wait for my home office to be set up, and I can get a good shot for you of it with my Moon lamp. :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you both! Again, I’m so glad you like it camelama! I’m excited to see your moon lamp, too! :smiley:

3 Likes

Really amazing!
:star_struck:

3 Likes

Wow, so fun and space worthy. What a treat to have the universe spin.

2 Likes

Your attention to detail. :heart_eyes: I love all of the scenes and the color-changing light is a bonus! Our kids have an astronaut light in their room they turn on at night and this lantern would complement it so beautifully. :rocket:

2 Likes

Completely amazing, unbelievably cool, you outdid yourself.

1 Like

Space lantern is super cool!

1 Like

Incredible!!!

1 Like

Super freaking fun, fabulous and fantastic. That’s right, I just gave you 4 F’s, lol.

I’m amazed. And that’s an A, lol.

I hope we have teachers here that understand my attempt at love and humor.

1 Like

This lantern is… wait for it… out of this world! NICE!

1 Like

:comet: :comet: :comet: Congratulations! Your Out-of-this-World Space Lantern is a Featured Project this week! :rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

3 Likes

So magical! I love it!

1 Like

So deserving!

1 Like

WOW, very nice and what a work to make all those pieces

1 Like

This is insanely clever and very cool!

1 Like

Oh, wow! This is so cool!!!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the love, everyone!

How amazingly cool!! Great project!

1 Like