Spin Art Background Pages

I needed something for the background of another project, and I’ve been wanting to try using my old salad spinner to make some spin art.

I’ve never done it before, so I didn’t know how much the thickness of the paint would affect it. The silver paint (I just used cheap acrylics) was much thinner, and drizzled out, while the red and pinks were much thicker and plopped onto the paper. I also learned that a plastic pipette is not great for sucking up and squirting out thick acrylic paint. Overall, I’m happy with how things turned out, and they worked perfectly for my other project!

12 Likes

This is such a cool idea! I love the effect.

2 Likes

Oh, fun! I did centrifuge art once at a fun fair in elementary school, I think. Long ago, where I just got to pick paint colors and an adult did the splooping & spinning. I hadn’t thought of using a salad spinner to do that; it’s a clever idea.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did one color at time, but now that I think about it, I could have done multiple colors at once! Next time :slight_smile:

Using my old salad spinner was way cheaper than investing in an old turntable! The only problem I ran into was that the bottom is open, so I had to put it in a box to catch any drips. The paint wasn’t very runny, so it didn’t drip very much.

It was fun to open it up after each spin to see how the paint had moved. I’ll definitely be playing around with this some more. I might try thinning the paint to see how that works. And, I might try using base paper that’s not white.

1 Like

Ooh, black could be really striking!

1 Like

I agree! The white worked for my project, but having a colored background will give such a different effect!

1 Like

Well I didn’t need to make a trip to my local thrift store… Until I saw this! So cool! I wanna try too! :smile: Thank you so much for sharing your adventure in paint spinning :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

These are really fun!

2 Likes

I totally miss spin art! These are great.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I have that spinner. Ikea? It made awesome spin art. Clever idea. These would be neat backgrounds for ATCs.

1 Like

I can’t remember where I got the spinner from, but I got a new one, so this one was destined for the donation pile. Then I realized I could use it for spin art, so it got a reprieve!

1 Like