Spinning Camel Roving

Hello all! Excited to get back into the online crafting community (was formerly known as puppy_girl on craftster, though hadn’t been active for a couple of years).
Anyhoo, a couple of months ago we were at the game farm and saw/got to interact with a couple of camels. While there I learned that you can spin their wool like sheep and alpaca wool, so obviously now my goal is to spin camel yarn. I’ve actually found some roving on Etsy, but figured I’d see if anyone has any experience with camel fiber before diving in. I’ve spun various sheep roving and alpaca before. I’m assuming it’ll be similar to alpaca. Any camel spinners out there?

Here’s a picture of one of the camels, for cuteness sake. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I want to feel spun camel yarn!!!

3 Likes

Holy smokes! I never thought of camel yarn! Neat!

2 Likes

While not exactly spinning advice, if you have a fair trade or other type of international handicrafts shop near you (like a Ten Thousand Villages) you might be able to find some camel products there that have been made into finished goods. That could give you at least a rough idea of how a textile item made with camel might turn out or give you some thoughts on yarn/thread size or texture.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea, I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll have to keep an eye out.

1 Like

I’ll definitely give a report when I do it on what it feels like!

3 Likes

That is pretty cool! Our zoo used to offer their yak fiber to crafters, but I guess they weren’t getting enough takers or it was getting to hard to deal with or something and they stopped. Wonder what asking would get you…? I don’t spin anything yet, but I did get a little drop spindle for my birthday this past fall.

2 Likes

That. Is. SO COOL! You have a super quirky mind, I like that!

2 Likes

I’ve never seen pure camel roving but I have seen it in blends. I haven’t spun any yet though.

2 Likes

Ooo, I hadn’t thought of asking. They’re closed to the general public until spring now, but I’ll have to look into it once they open again. If I could score some free/cheap roving that’d be excellent. I’d probably have to process it myself, but I’m sure I could figure it out. :laughing:

2 Likes

Now you’re going to be fidgety until they reopen! lol It would be great if they would let you have some fiber! And hey, when did crafters ever shy away from new techniques/hobbies? :wink: I wonder if camels shed like the yaks did or if you’ll have to curry a camel! :laughing:

1 Like

How does the roving feel? I found camel hair to be coarse, but I didn’t touch his undercoat, just the top layer since I was riding him. The one behind us was very friendly and photobombed all of our pics.

2 Likes

Oh this is intriguing! I wonder if you can also felt up camel fiber?

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to feel it yet…it looks soft, but then it also looks like it could be a little coarse… Guess I need to buy some and find out!

2 Likes

Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Camel down is very, very, very soft! The staple length is very, very short also!!

7 Likes

Good to know! Thanks!

1 Like

The biggest things to consider when spinning camel down are:
1- it needs a lot of twist because of the short staple and fineness combined
2 - blends with camel down will be easier to spin
3 - Spinning 100% camel down with a supported spindle is going to be easier than even a flyer wheel, unless that flyer wheel has a really high ratio (at least a 13:1, but 15 or higher will save much more treadle time.
4 - don’t be afraid to re-prepare whatever fibre prep you get. if you get a commercial top prep, and it’s too tricky to spin, card it into light punis.
5 - Don’t even bother trying to spin with a worsted draw, it’s a futile endeavour. Woollen draws are the easiest and least frustrating with fine down fibres like camel (and cashmere, and yak, and bison etc.)

4 Likes

Not a spinner but a camel keeper so I feel pulled to comment on any camel thing I see :grin:. I have various animals that I have cared for over the years wool horded away for the “one day” I decide to learn lol.

I have been told by spinners that it is more difficult to work with than other fibers. Also that Bactrian vs. Dromidary fiber works differently.

My two.

8 Likes

OMG you have :camel:s. I am having such an indescribable feeling right now. How is having camels even a thing? Keep talking, lady! I needed to hear everything about this!

3 Likes