Star Baby Blanket

A dear friend is expecting a little one soon, so I made her a blanket. I wanted cheerful gender neutral colors, and had the perfect turquoise and yellow already in my stash, and I picked up a skein of white with rainbow speckles to tie them together. The yellow is Big Twist from Joann’s in Buttercup, the turquoise is Walmart’s brand Mainstays, in Teal, and the while rainbow is I Love This Yarn in Blossmopolis. The pattern is the 6-Day Star Blanket, by Betty McKnit, and is free. Admittedly I spent a little longer than 6 days on it, since I did a lot of color changes. Most of her examples use yarns with long gradient color changes, which makes a very different (but awesome) feel, and no ends to weave in. I hoped by keeping the very strict color changes, to create a sense of radiating cheerfulness and joy.

I started with alternating the bands of granny in yellow, and the bands of double crochet in turquoise, but as I got to the end, I didn’t have quite enough yellow to finish that last row. So I frogged it back, and did the last granny row in rainbow, then using up all the turquoise I could in a wider 3 row border, and finally finishing it with the last bit of yellow in a single crochet edging. I managed to use up nearly every inch of all 3 skeins, with just a few feet of each remaining. I tried to make matching booties with the scraps, but there wasn’t enough even for that!

20 Likes

Pretty! I like the colors!

3 Likes

Gorgeous! I love how the speckled yarn brings out the other colors.

3 Likes

this is so lovely, I love how all the colors got pulled together.
This is one of my fave baby blankets too

2 Likes

Self striping is fun, but stripes done on purpose takes it to another level for this blanket. The yarn saving design choice for the last stripes looks good!

2 Likes

A star baby blanket! How cool! I love the colors, with that rainbow white bit really making the color changes pop.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful star baby blanket!

2 Likes

I really like it - you did a nice job. I loved the close up and the color choices. It is nice when I can use stock on hand and have it turn out so well. :heart:

2 Likes

The colors are fantastic and so sweet looking. The shape is super cool too!

2 Likes

Ohh, I love the pink stripes, really softens & warms that cool teal. Nice!

1 Like