Star Wars Skateboard - pic heavy

For last Christmas I decided to finally join a Secret Santa in Belgium within a maker community i follow.
My receiver was a teenage boy who skateboards and loves Star Wars.
Budget was 15€ so you were inspired to use what you have.

My first thought was to use an old broken skateboard, sand it and paint.
So that’s what I did.
This is the skateboard:

Sanded. The purple was really integrated in the wood and I was debating wether I should use this as a base or go with black. I decided to not use the purple.

The holes filled with woodfiller

I used a tablet to try and see which characters and how big/small they should be on the board

White layer of gesso and pencil drawings.
I used online images to get the lines.

Filling in with black acrylic, the gesso wasn’t that great of an idea. It was still very dusty. So if anyone has a tip for that? Perhaps not use gesso?

More details

I decided to just paint Darth Vader black and add the white lines on top.

Baby Yoda was looking to baby-ish so I gave him more texture

Black background, stars added and a gloss.
I added a string (a white string, painted black because my budget went on posca markers, used for the star wars outline and some stars)
threaded it through the holes from the wheels so he could hang it on the wall.

And here’s a gif of the process because why not :smiley:
Secret santa 2021

He loved it very much. I even managed to put his favourite character Boba Fett on there without knowing!

24 Likes

This is really cool!

2 Likes

This is the coolest! A pretty epic secret santa if you ask me!! Amazing job!!

2 Likes

This is awesome!

2 Likes

What a project! It turned out so well! I can see why he loved it!

2 Likes

Whoa. This is so dang cool! You really made a very cool thing for that teen!

2 Likes

Wow, this is the coolest! What a great Secret Santa gift… Thanks for showing us the behind-the-scenes shots, too. I always love seeing how a project came together.

3 Likes

Woweee! What a great secret Santa gift!

2 Likes

You are the world’s best secret santa! What a creative way to reuse a skateboard to make a piece of fan art! I love the shine! It really makes the characters pop!!!

2 Likes

Holy moly! This is fantastic! I can just imagine the recipient’s face when he first saw this - it is totally above and beyond. Very inspiring!

2 Likes

I can just imagine him opening this and gasping. You did an incredible job and it is so cool! Teenage boys are hard to craft for.

1 Like

How wonderful!
I bet he loved it!

1 Like

Thank you very much everyone!
I was sooo very anxious making this and gifting it, dropping it at the door and running away like a crazy person :smiley: In this maker group there are very talented people who do stuff with electronics, programming and wood but that’s not what I can do so I really hoped for someone who could want something I could do. I was very happy to receive his message that he really liked it :smiley:

3 Likes

@Riechan, since I’m in Belgian too, might I know the name of that maker group?

1 Like

This is awesome. I have some Stars Wars fans in my house that would love this and they aren’t even skaters! :smile:

Sounds like a pretty cool craft group too!

1 Like

I’ll sent you a link!

1 Like

Thanks!

Whoa! What a process! Smart to add the white on top of Darth’s black paint. It is a treasure! Well done.

2 Likes

Super cool! What a fantastic transformation. I’ll bet he treasures this for years to come.

1 Like