Steampunk-inspired Leather Belt Pouch

While poking around in my IYP Swap’s partner Pinterest I came up this very cool leather pouch… one that I am pretty sure I have also pinned, because it’s so dang cool! I decided to try to make a similar one (finally). Well, the link goes to an updated version from the same seller.

LeatherKeyPouch01

Of course, there are some differences, the first being that I made it a little bigger - the original is a labeled a coin purse, but I thought it would be nice if it were big enough to put a smart phone into.

LeatherKeyPouch03

Mine is also stitched by hand using a saddle stitch, the original is machine stitched and double stitched in a few places.

LeatherKeyPouch06

LeatherKeyPouch02

Maybe the biggest difference is that I added a sleeve for a belt so it can be worn instead of pocketed.

LeatherKeyPouch04

The original pinned version didn’t have a snap, but the new version did and I thought that would be a good way to not rely on the skeleton key to keep her stuff safe! I thought this sew-on style looked way more steampunk than the prong type, so went with that.

This mark was on the back of the leather piece I bought and I don’t know what it’s really all about, but I thought it looked cool so cut my self-drafted pattern so it would be part of the pouch.

19 Likes

Very cool!
How big is it, 7-8"?

I have some old skeleton keys that need a project…

2 Likes

Thanks! Closed it is about 5 3/8" x 7 1/4". Turns out it fits our Kobo e-reader just about perfectly, so plenty of room for a bigger smart phone plus a few things.

4 Likes

Your hand stitching is beautiful!

3 Likes

Love it! (And I think I have that pouch pinned somewhere too!) You did a beautiful job reinventing it.

2 Likes

Thank you, friends!

2 Likes

I love the choice of the hand-stitched snap instead of the pronged one. This one reminds me of hte sun. It’s very cool looking. And I love that you included the number stamping on the leather. I, too, have no idea what it’s for but it adds just the right touch of flair.

1 Like

Thank you! I always love a little “secret” inside a thing. A fun liner in a bag or drawer, painting inside a cabinet a cool color, the underside or inside of a diorama, etc.

2 Likes

This is so awesome!! I love it! It’s going to be perfect for a steampunk costume- if I ever get them done!! :laughing:

Thank you!!

2 Likes

This is really cool and I love the key as a closure!

2 Likes

THANKS, pals!

1 Like

It looks awesome! I love the clasp open and closed. Very cool!

1 Like

This is seriously cool!!!

1 Like

This is amazing. You did such a great job.

1 Like

This is beautiful and will definitely be a favorite accessory, I’m sure.

1 Like

Thank you, friends!

1 Like

I love skeleton keys, and this is a fabulous way to showcase one. That snap, though! I’ve never seen one like that. It’s so cool! You make such nice things.

1 Like

This is pretty awesome & I love the skeleton key!

1 Like

Thank you all!

Isn’t it? I hadn’t seen that kind either, but it was just at JoAnn right there with the notions! Happened to be on sale, too. :upside_down_face: It’s from Dritz.

1 Like

Thank you! I will have to see if my store has them the next time I’m there.

2 Likes