Stumpwork silhouette portrait

Made for a friendโ€™s youngster after he first started wearing glasses and was feeling a bit self-conscious about it.

Stumpwork embroidery makes some fun 3-D elements possible.

Lions have become a bit of a theme in things I craft for our friend so the back is covered in some of my very favourite vintage fabric.

23 Likes

I absolutely LOVE this! It is so perfect. The glasses are the best.

1 Like

Love how you used the stumpwork!

Nice of you to nip that self-consciousness in the bud by showing that glasses look quite good!

2 Likes

How sweet of you, and nice work!

(I want a hoop where those lions are on the front, too!!!)

2 Likes

Such a kind, heartwarming project. I love it.

โ€ฆI also love this fabric!! It looks like 70s barkcloth?

SAH-WOON!!!

1 Like

Oh, I love the stumpwork elements! You are such a thoughtful friend!! The lions on the back are very cool!

1 Like

Amazing work!! you are the best friend :orange_heart: :metal:t3:

1 Like

OK thatโ€™s too cool!

1 Like

Getting kids to sit still for shadow portraits is impossible but I just asked his mom to snap a photo of him in profile then I traced it. I wish Iโ€™d done one of my kids every year or so, it would make such a fun retrospective.

1 Like

This is fantastic!!! I adore silhouettes and you did this one perfectly!

1 Like

We were visiting these friends recently & they had this up on display, so nice to see! Young sir is 15 now & ever so very handsome.

Iโ€™ve heard of stumpwork and must research and learn more. The best things about intentional backs to craft/artwork is that itโ€™s like creating another whole piece of art. I think the lions served to promote the theme of strength and self-worth for the young man. Lovely hearts!

1 Like

Try this most excellent tutorial by @sheepBlue!

1 Like