Sunflower Temari

This one was a learning experience for sure! The kiku herringbone and layered diamond equator band both gave me some trouble. Luckily with temari, the 3D shape really disguises some of the missteps and I’m still very happy with the finished product.

The pattern is Sunflower from Suess’ Japanese Temari and I kept the colors as close as I could to her plan. The base is a simple 12-division.

There are two flowers, one centered on each pole. The first flower used almost double the amount of thread as the second! I was trying to work as if I was laying down satin stitch on a flat surface, which doesn’t really work here. I had the threads right up next to each other, and I was trying not to pull them out of shape. Turns out, the whole point is to pull them into shape - it creates the curve of the petals where they meet the center. While neither flower is exactly what I was going for, I think they both have their charms.

Then I got lost a bit on the interlocking diamonds and didn’t put stitches where they were supposed to be, but by that time I was too far done to go back and take them out.

All in all, this one is a bit wonky, but impressive looking when viewed at a distance. :wink:

15 Likes

That is beautiful!

1 Like

The goregousness of this is at a ridiculously high level. Both flowers are so lovely and, just like in nature, each unique. I couldn’t choose a favourite if I tried.

1 Like

Bright and lovely!

1 Like

You are rocking the temaris! This one is so happy with those colors…the flowers are gorgeous…and my eye could barely see the differences at all…(still not sure…)

Keep them coming…they certainly brighten up my spirits…

1 Like

I really love this one! I love sunflowers so it makes me very happy. :smiley:

1 Like

This is so beautiful!

1 Like

The one I’ve been waiting for … IT’S AMAZING … IT’S BEAUTIFUL :heart_eyes:

If you didn’t point out what you think are mistakes, none of us would know anyway.

Keep up this fantastic work!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Wow, that is incredible!

2 Likes

So bright and springy. I have watched a few videos and still can’t wrap my head around it. HA! Wrap!

2 Likes

Oh, this one is so pretty! Yes, keeping the tension pretty tight definitely seems to help. You are making some lovely temari balls! Keep it up!

2 Likes