Swapping: Under Construction

It would be fun to do a “What I like about you” swap. Sort of invite your partner/make a friend swap but crafting something around what you really like about the person (their style, the outlooks, the crafts they do).

4 Likes

I love this idea!

1 Like

Yeah, me too! @kittykill, that makes three liking it! :grinning:

1 Like

Red Rover, Red Rover, will swappers come over? :smile:

6 Likes

This is awesome, but one would need to know their partner to know what he/she likes about the person.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

See if you can drum up someone to host it, so it can be included in the vote. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I can’t organize, but I want to throw two swap ideas out there:

-A Lettucecraft/lettuce themed swap. Especially with the spring practically here, it could include garden related lettuce things.

-Frugal living swap. I need more washcloths and bags to carry food in.

2 Likes

I can’t organize either atm, but I’d love a frugal living swap!

1 Like

I’ll happily host an HP swap when swapping is fully open. :slightly_smiling_face::zap::heart:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for making this happen! Swaps are such an integral part of how I met and interacted with people on the old site. I am excited to see it starting again here!

5 Likes

I’ve never done a swap before but here’s a list of my current thoughts for swaps:

-Hand Dyed Yarn–Natural or Synthetic. The pits of avocados can be used to make some pink dye for a natural dye lot to change the color of your white yarn, for example.
-Upcycled Bird Nests or Bird Feeders
-Hand and homemade flowers-Any medium.
-Knitted or crotcheted cell phone cases or tablet cases.
-Because, I’m so in the mood right now to make them, scrubbies for your kitchen. (I’ve not posted all my scrubbies, but I have a basket of 50+ scrubbies at the moment.)
-In the Fall/Winter, knitted/crotched hats.
-Magnets-Any medium.
-Cabochon Jewelry
-Homemade Wine Markers
-Stitch/Progress Markers
-Homemade Ornaments for Christmas
-Origami
-Message in a Bottle
-Project made from a Mason Jar.
-Drink coasters.
-Reusable Coffee Cozy-Knit, Crotchet or Sewn
-Project that involves a glow stick.
-Swappers Delight: You are paired with someone and that person gives you 3-5 options of things they would like to make for you, you choose 1 of those options and you get that item, or something around that theme. For example, I could never do a Harry Potter inspired swap because I wouldn’t know where to begin, but my partner says…I love making Harry Potter inspired jewelry and I say, “Deal!” They choose something from my list they would like, as well.

If someone wants to run with any of these ideas, please feel free to do so.

6 Likes

This one’s an old stand-by; there are all kinds of ornament swaps right before the holidays! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@LemonHillKnitting, I like the homemade flowers idea, and also magnets, stitch markers, coasters… lots of good ideas!

@Averia just suggested a temari ball swap. Thought I’d document that idea here.

2 Likes

I’d love for you to host the common ground swap again!

I’m going to hold off on signing up for any swapping right now, our province and our country are tightening stay-at-home orders quite drastically. We may not be able to go out to the postal kiosks very soon, if they even stay open. Police have been given more powers to stop and fine anybody out on a non-essential trip, essential being groceries, prescriptions, doctor appointments. Stores are asking you designate one person to shop and don’t go in pairs or groups. Vehicles with more than 2 people travelling together may be stopped for an explanation. Things are getting restricted.

4 Likes

So many people around here are just acting like this is nothing (is it any wonder when the guy on the top says it’s just a flu?)…so our city has had to set up a police task force to “educate” people. Right now, it is just a warning…it is sad because the sooner people comply, the sooner it should end…

Are you seeing this in your country as well? I guess unless people you know get sick, it won’t be anything but a big inconvenience to many…

1 Like

We haven’t been very out much so it’s hard to say what others are doing. In our neighbourhood it’s been very quiet. The grocery shops, when we’ve gone, have been exceedingly bare, empty, the few people who are there are super polite and keeping their distance. I have noticed some teens out together which is just awful, they don’t know they are taking each other’s germs back to family including any vulnerable members. And we have also noticed some drivers are acting like utter jaggoffs, dangerous speeding and veering round on the roads. You’d think police and military would be out to prevent looting and vandalism at least. Preventing traffic accidents should be a priority, the hospitals are busy enough without that nonsense.

2 Likes

glad to know that people are the same everywhere…sadly but also all the good ones…

1 Like

I’m refraining from swapping right now for the same reason - I could probably craft from stash, but the continuation of postal services is an unknown. Bleh.

3 Likes

Hey friends, thought I’d throw this out there. I am supposed to close the signups for the Go Bananas Swap today, but I have an uneven number of swappers! The point of this swap is to get to know, and then to spoil your partner, and go bananas crafting something really lovely for them, so I’d prefer not to have to do a round robin. I want folks to really be able to interact with one another. Anyone interested in playing with us??? C’mon! Help a sister out!