Swapping: Under Construction

Feel better, calluna!
I agree with you.

But I think that the first ever swap on this site should be lettuce themed!!!

2 Likes

rscowtown, I just posted the same thing! I don’t know where it went though…:thinking:

What if we made it an ongoing swap? Ex: I send my blank to you and you send it back. Then I wait until someone else claims me, I send it to them, and then they add to it. It would be a lot slower and you wouldn’t be as surprised because you saw the progress along the way, but it would be less of an organizational nightmare.

@MightyMitochondria oh, that’s interesting. yes, that would help control the chaos.

I dunno. I would almost want to risk it, because it would be a lot of fun to send it off. If it was just as small group of 7ish peeps…well, now i want to risk it! GO CRAZY WITH THE IDEA!!!

We’ll see if others are interested. We could do a Personal Swap. or host on Disc. or wait.

2 Likes

You could also do more of a quilt-block style swap; it wouldn’t work for dishtowels, but if everyone did a small piece on a standardized size of fabric, you could end up with a bunch of embroideries on your theme to piece together.

2 Likes

I would be up for a personal swap as soon as I wrap up my Imbolc swap. I’m 3/4 of the way done.

1 Like

@thanate and @MightyMitochondria

This idea would be the work around. But I am really excited by it all being on one cloth. And not knowing what you are getting. for me anyway.

We’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

It’s two different swaps, really.

@thanate Agree.

I haven’t done a swap in years, and I’m looking forward to getting back into it eventually.

And now I’m very interested a possible tea towel swap!

Cant wait to start swaping again

1 Like

@bananaleg

Warning: all swappers will sign a blood oath to ship.

9 Likes

OK, swap fanatics, way back in the dark ages (2007), amaryllisroze and I hosted a couple of altered journal swaps. We had six heavily vetted participants, and sent the journals in a round robin fashion, so that each person sent out their journal, it went to the next person until everyone did a page, and then it returned to the original owner. The six of us had so much fun the first round, that we did a second round together so each journal was seen and touched by everyone twice. Here’s the swap link, if you’d like to see how it was structured: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=144684.0

Shipping was WAY less expensive back then. There’s no way I’d send a book around 12 times for one swap now.

10 Likes

Welcome Amanda! Happy New Year :smiley:

Woah. Ya’ll, here is the gallery, and IT.IS.WONDERFUL.! and it was very organized!

gallery round 1
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=167771.0

gallery round 2
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=197680.0

Thank you, @racky! This is very helpful. It makes me want to do a papery something!

I did this with a group of friends (twice actually). And even if people are gung ho there was always one person who was a bottle neck. I got my first journal back eventually but never got my second one back.

Like I said, we made good and sure we could trust the people we swapped with, and we had a limit of six people. We also limited it to the US, due to shipping costs, but tea towels would be cheaper to send than big ole journals.

2 Likes

I’ve been drooling over that journal swap since I heard about it! Someone was talking about doing a journal page swap over the summer, but the interested parties were never all free at the same time.

1 Like

I like the idea of journal pages. I’ve done the same on another site. we send 5x7 inch journal pages and the person can do what they like with them - bind into a new journal, paste into an existing one. I punch a hole in the upper corner and put them all on a 2" ring clip

2 Likes

I looked in the Craftster archives and found the swap. It was Tea Towel Tour 5, organized by rectangel in Aug 2009. There were also co-organizers so many ppl could participate in smaller groups.

It was extremely well organized, so I’d just use the guidelines and process that worked back then.

Each participant got to pick what their towel theme would be, which was part of the fun - figuring out what to embroider on each towel by theme. I think mine was John Hughes movies

2 Likes