Sydney Harbour Embroidery

My cousin (third) came to Australia from England for a working holiday and ended up staying 6 years, getting her citizenship and finding her future husband. He is Scottish and they headed back to the UK last year and got engaged not long after.

They were based in Sydney, so as a wedding gift I thought a little reminder of the place they started their life together would be apt.

I used all six strands to ‘paint’ the picture. The base was tulle. I glued a circle of felt to the back to finish it.

25 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I can’t believe you stitched it on tulle. No pattern then, just painted with thread? Freehand?

1 Like

I love your rendering of such an iconic landmark. What a perfect gift! :heart:

1 Like

No pattern, I just found a photo online and eyeballed it. The tulle made it easier to pull the stitches out if I went a bit awry. But it is also a bit delicate, so you can’t pull the thread too hard.

2 Likes

Amazing!

1 Like

What a lovely wedding gift! Well-stitched and the back is so nice and tidy also.

1 Like

Thanks!

that’s culle you used tool. I want to try that!

lovely stitch!

1 Like

So cool!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

This is, indeed, very painterly and just wonderful! I’m sure it will mean a lot to the happy couple!

1 Like

I love the chonky type landscape embroideries…so much texture. You did just the right amount of detail. A lovely wedding gift for them!

1 Like

Instantly recognizable! Lovely, sure to be treasured.

1 Like

Thanks all! I really enjoyed the process of this.

Wow! Super impressed! Embroidery landscapes are intimidating to me and you totally nailed it!!

1 Like

:blue_heart: :scissors: :thread: Congratulations! Your amazing embroider is a Featured Project this week! :thread: :scissors: :blue_heart:

1 Like

Thanks so much!

Oh my goodness! How cool is this?! It’s so sweet that you made them something so personal and it turned out phenomenal!

2 Likes

Wow, I don’t think I ever seen something like this? It really looks like a painting with thread. Very beautiful and I love the story behind it! They will surely love it!

1 Like

This is fabulous!! what a beautiful gift!

1 Like