Take-along Flatware Wrap - F&T 2020 Q1 Contest Entry

Such a simple idea…I also like to go to deli’s or to premade foods sections of our grocery store for a quick meal…the plastic stuff is wasteful and not very sturdy!

If I take a fork or spoon, I tend to forget it in the car and find it weeks (or months) later in the back seat…gross…this would solve all the issues…

Love that you used stash and such a happy fabric…

Nice project!

1 Like

This has been on my to do list for ages! Yours is so bright and cheerful!

Awesome project!

1 Like

Thanks, friends!

1 Like

Ooh, nice. I have one of these that’s store-bought, but it doesn’t close all the way on the sides so I keep meaning to make one that keeps the dust out.

1 Like

Awesome! I want to make this, it’s a great idea to have that in the car, purse, all the places!

2 Likes

Such cheerful colours. I made something similar but for crochet hooks.

1 Like

Such a happy fabric! Wonderful flatware wrap!

A great idea, and I love the fabric too.

I wonder if something could be incorporated to hold dirty cutlery until you get it home to wash. What would that look like?

1 Like

I would use the same case and just wash it when I washed the cutlery…

Today, I saw some inspirational chopsticks in the store and picked them up, I have the same idea, essentially to make a pouch to store the chopsticks so they are portable and reusable. I love your idea!

Thanks everyone!

I spend some time mulling that over and considered using some oilcloth that was in my stash to make the pouch. Each of the ideas I had in mind for the container would have been hard to clean due to small size, so I decided on just fabric. I figure I’ll give it a try to just put the dirties in whatever wrapping the food comes in or into the dirty napkin. I already keep a stash of cloth napkins in my vehicle!

I made a chopstick pouch about 10 years ago for my mom!

1 Like

The fabric is so cool and the whole thing is so practical!

Maybe if you put the spoon in the other way, it will nestle more with the fork when you fold the wrap and it will fold up even flatter?

Do you have a picture of that @TheMistressT? I would like to see your’s for inspiration.

What a neat idea. The fabric screams spring.

Thank you, everyone!

@mellybelly81 Oh, that was more a comment on the non-flatness of any extra flatware we have in the house, thus needed to pick some up. All of ours have pretty chunky handles, because I am a weirdo about the comfort and fit of flatware! These are just stamped out of sheet metal. I thought I got a pic of the handles, but instead I got two of them inserted all the way! D’oh!

@LemonHillKnitting Oh, gosh… if I do they are on a tucked away external hard drive somewhere. It’s been so long, I don’t even remember how it fastened.

2 Likes

@TheMistressT I was thinking about using a kam snap on a triangle to close it off. Also thinking about the design. A simple silk printed fabric with a solid silk lining. What do you think? Here are the chopsticks I bought for my project.

Sounds really pretty! The chopsticks are pretty too! I do remember I used a pretty woven silk that had been a sample swatch from a home decor shop that was selling their old samples . It was shades of green with cherry blossoms on branches. I forget how it was lined.

1 Like

I love this.

1 Like

Hey Friends! There’s just a few more hours left to vote in this challenge. You can vote in the Fiber & Textile Spring Greening Challenge.

And while you’re at it, why not stop by and vote in the Decorative & Functional Spring Cleaning with a Twist Challenge which closes tomorrow, and the Art Miniaturize My Craft Challenge, which closes Tuesday.**

1 Like