The giving season has started

One of my close friends is obsessed with May Gibbs (an Australian children’s author who wrote snugglept and cuddlepie) and my spotlight (the big chain craft store in Australia) has some amazing May Gibbs fabric so I thought I would make her some gifts for her December birthday and Christmas.

The first thing I made was a quilt, personally I am not the biggest fan of this pattern but it was the pattern style she requested. She didn’t want me to cut the fabric up too much. I really enjoyed the scrappy binding though.

I used some native flower fabric for the backing, it only seemed fitting

The second thing I made for her was an advent calendar which was made from a panel from the May Gibbs fabric lines at spotlight as well. I enjoyed this project so much I am planning on getting another panel to make my own advent calendar (but I will wait for the Christmas sales)

Gift giving is my love language and so I went above and beyond because I even filled the advent calendar with chocolates, a Christmas joke, a Christmas pick up line and a motivational self care/self esteem sticker. I used my Cricut to create these. The joke and pick up line are made from cardstock and I used the cricut pen to write the joke and pick up line.

Pick up line and sticker

Christmas joke and sticker

17 Likes

Oh, you are so sweet. The quilt looks super comfy and that advent calendar full of goodies is wonderful with all those sprites on it. Flower people? Garden cherubs? Now I want a Caramello Koala. And a sticker-maker. :smile:

1 Like

gasp these are so beautiful and whimsical! You did a wonderful job in execution and I love the idea of the agent calendar. That quilt makes me *grabby hands."
I only recently heard about this author. We don’t really have her here in America. I’m assuming because they’re based around plants that we don’t have here so people just assumed we wouldn’t relate for some reason? I wish I grew up with them cuz they are so cute and magical! Just adorable. It’s really cool that they are so popular there is just a full line of fabrics for it. The colors on these are so beautiful. Was the agent calendar fabric’s panel set up to be a calendar or did you put that all together on your own? Looks so professional. :hushed:

2 Likes

I loved those illustrations growing up! Beautiful work, well done.

1 Like

Wow, I am blown away. The advent calendar is truly a delight. I can’t believe you even added little goodies to it. You are a gem.

1 Like

That advent calendar is AMAZING! And the quilt is so cool too. Gift giving is definitely your love language!

1 Like

Sweet! I had to google May Gibbs; her illustrations are adorable. I even checked project gutenberg, but they didnt include her. So amero-centric of them.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

the quilt is so pretty! I’m sure she will love it all!

1 Like

Wow! Your advent calendar is wondrous! Had never heard of the artist, but now I want to see all of May Gibbs’ work. Snowman picking his nose… haha!

1 Like

Completely understand not wanting to cut up all those Fabrics they are wonderful. The Advent is amazing, if I had kids I’d steal that idea. Your little notes are absolutely adorable and I love the joke about the Snowman. You have a very lucky friend.

1 Like

These are such lovingly made and lovely gifts for your friend!