Thing-A-Day February 2021 Craftalong

I think that’s a translation mistake! When we say sauerkraut, we always mean a dish of sauerkraut and potatoes. I guess in our cuisine potatoes are so obvious we don’t even mention them. When we say we ate kale we also mean kale mixed with potatoes. Eating veg without potatoes would be unthinkable in the traditional Dutch cuisine.

But it looks like in other countries people eat sauerkraut (the fermented cabbage) by itself! So what I did was mix the cabbage with the potatoes. Now there are only 3 pounds of old potatoes left.

2 Likes

My in-laws always made potatoes with sauerkraut, too! Sometimes it was boiled potatoes, sometimes it was mashed. They ate potatoes with everything!

In my house, of course, the main starch was rice!

And yes, we eat sauerkraut without potatoes, like in a Reuben sandwich or on a hot dog… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah I understand. :grin: I thought there was a world of sauerkraut that I didn’t know about

3 Likes

I thought it might be possible…my dad made a vodka from potatoes!

3 Likes

Your fabrics are wonderfully cheerful!!

2 Likes

You guys…so good!

I did not have 5 spice powder so used equal parts cayenne, cinnamon, and ginger.

9 Likes

That looks so tasty @Abbeeroad!

My thing today was canning 7 jars of oranges in cointreau plus 2 jars of extra syrup. Unfortunately some of them did not seal (I’ve been dealing with this all season, I think lid quality has really declined), so 4 jars will be stored in the freezer… I’m too lazy to reprocess these!

7 Likes

Omg that looks SO tasty!! Did you make a post with the recipe?

Oooh, those look so pretty in the jars! How do you use them once they’re all nice and syrupy?

1 Like

Making progress on my new quilt. This wasn’t all done today, but all but the bottom 3 rows were!

10 Likes

Day 4: 8 envelops (& counting) stuffed with happy mail!

5 Likes

After two failed attempt at my faux taxidermy, I decided to give a rest until tomorrow…I needed to do something simple today, so I made a bunch of economy quilt blocks instead…

20210204_224844

7 Likes

I had never heard of a Reuben sandwich, but it looks pretty tasty! Will try that one day.

When I lived at home we ate potatoes every single day. In winter we would eat mashed potatoes with vegetables mixed through it: sauerkraut, kale, boiled carrots and onions, endive. If we didn’t eat that we had boiled potatoes, fried potatoes or mashed potatoes with vegetables on the side ! After I moved out I didn’t eat potatoes for years, I was so sick of them.

1 Like

Have you tried hasselback potatoes? They are a fancy fun treat.
I do like potatoes but try to mix them up with other veg to reduce the sugar load & increase nutrition.
One dish I like is a vegetable spiral tart, it’s just gorgeous to serve & can be customized with herbs, goat cheese, etc.
Another is a veggie tian, pretty circles of root veg laid in a spiral in a cast pan and baked.
There are tons of recipes online for those.
My daughter likes potatoes on pizza!

1 Like

I really want to work on something else, but I will be making masks today…everyone is sick of their old ones…including me!

2 Likes

I have a stack half finished too. It’s so hard forcing myself to sew any more of those. Everybody is asking though.

1 Like

lol I am bribing myself…make a few masks, do something fun…blech

1 Like

I just posted the recipe in this thread. Maybe I’ll do a proper post. I always feel like an imposter posting other people’s recipes, but at the same time, others posting is how I’ve found some of my favorites…

Loving the mountain quilt, @Lynx!!

Yes, I also have a stack of unfinished masks staring at me…maybe tomorrow… :laughing:

2 Likes

I find the internet sites so overwhelming…I used to pin a lot of recipes but never knew anyone who really made them!

I do enjoy trying the ones you guys do since I am not a cook…it also helps me cut down on all the brain clutter that is overwhelming when there are way too many choices!!!

Plus, you have an “international” palate that appeals to me…I mean, bahn mi, curries, etc.

3 Likes

Posted!

@AIMR Enjoying local food is one of my favorite parts of travelling…I miss it!

2 Likes

We have a great take out sandwich place at the end of our street and another resto down the road, Caribbean, it’s so frikken good. This is a very foody town so we still pick something up at least weekly but I do miss dining out. Some things are just not as good in a container that got sweaty on the way home.

3 Likes