Thing-A-Day February 2021 Craftalong

You can do little rice balls, work with cooled sticky rice, squish a bit in your hand & make a divot with thumb, fill with tasty stuff, squish closed, roll a little to pack & smooth out circle shape. If too sticky, wet your hands but only a little or the rice falls apart! Roll in sesame seeds or crushed whatever, it helps reduce stickiness & keep shape. You could fill with pb&j if you mixed them together & added something like crushed peanuts or pretzels, coconut, chopped dried fruit to firm it up a bit. Bet your kids would love eating those!

1 Like

I have had cold fingers all week from the cold. So I decided to make some mittens since I am terrible about having proper winter gear. These are pretty thin. But I really just wanted something between my hands and my steering wheel. They are very soft. It’s part of a blanket panel I got in a mystery pack from (I think) Moon Bean Textiles. It wasn’t a panel I would ever use as a blanket so I decided to use some for the mittens.

5 Likes

Day 10: Made brownies that I’m too lazy to photograph.

2 Likes

I admit that I snagged the mushroom garlic chicken recipe…and then got lost in the internet and found a bread recipe that looks pretty simple…is it too late to bake bread at night? Yeah, I will wait until morning since you have to let it rise and sit and such…“now” does not happen with bread…oh well

2 Likes

Oooh, that looks good, will pin that for another day :smiley:

2 Likes

Have you tried no knead bread? I usually do it the night before then it’s ready to bake in the morning. It’s good, and easy.

2 Likes

Jacques Pepin has the easiest no-knead bread recipe I’ve ever seen. His dough is wet like soup & he cooks it in a non-stick pot. My mom sent me a video the other day & Rob & I couldn’t believe what we were watching! We don’t own any non-stick but it should work in a spring form pan I think.

1 Like

I’ll check that out… I’m on a search for a good wholemeal version. Our favourite add ins are fresh rosemary and dried cranberries.

It’s snowing here (we don’t get much so this is exciting) it’s definitely a bread making/sewing kind of a day.

1 Like

Just googled that, I think I will try it today! It looks really easy and I have a cast iron Dutch oven. I only have white flour, I need to buy new bread flour but there’s way too much snow for a bike ride to the local mill.

@Edel yay, now you guys have snow as well! Enjoy!

1 Like

Report if it works in the dutchie, we have an enameled oval but its far from non-stick I’m afraid. More like extra stick, lol!

1 Like

It’s really pretty, not too much of it sticking, but it’s lovely to look at.

You could try putting baking paper into the Dutch oven (do you even call it that there? We just call it a cast iron casserole)

2 Likes

I had no idea what a Dutch oven was when I first read about it online. Only when youtube became a thing I figured out it’s just plain old grandma’s braadpan (roasting pan).

2 Likes

I am trying a simple no knead bread…I regret that I gave away my bread machine when I moved…who knew bread would be so popular during a pandemic…to be honest, I only used it for the kneading part and we had such great bakeries, I rarely used it…but now…I am my bakery…I also want to make a good bagel…I am using recipes tried and tested by my friends here…the internet search will only yield hours of times down the rabbit hole…lol…off to start the baking!

2 Likes

My first thing for today! This is right after mixing all the ingredients together. It looks like a very thick pancake batter.

3 Likes

Ooo…can’t wait to see results!

I made a French Braid Mug Rug Mat today just to practice some piecing with my new 1/4" foot. Nothing too hard or fancy, but still managed to be juust left of perfect, like everything I do. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I just love your sense of scrappy style…it is really pretty and also one of my favorite patterns for mixing fabrics! Great job!

2 Likes

Love those bright colours!

2 Likes

Day 11: snow people ornaments! They are not 2 years late, how dare you?! They’re 1 year early! :grin:

12 Likes

lol I have about three projects I have not posted for the same reason…but yeah, I am ahead of the game!

Those are really cute!

1 Like

Super cute! Those carrot buttons are pefect.

@AIMR @Immaculata - You guys are sweet. :blush:

1 Like