Thing-A-Day February 2021 Craftalong

I used Edel’s tutorial to make this block for the quilt along bom. I did adjust the pattern to use a flying goose rather than two half squared triangles. I had fun picking some fabrics. The quilt I end up with will be quite wild.

7 Likes

Today’s thing: I organized a bit more in my craft room. I cross stitched some, but more exciting than that…

I made my first ATC! My first 5 in fact. I’d show y’all but they’re for the ATC swap.

If you want a hint here’s what I used between the 5 of them: Scrapbook paper, alcohol markers, drawing pens, my sewing machine, vellum, and my vintage typewriter. :smirk:

9 Likes

I’m reorganizing too, a couple hours every day. It’s a huge job though, more than I can post for a thing-a-day. Maybe by the end of the month? It really is not feeling creative though, mostly just work at this point.

3 Likes

So far it’s been motivating for me. I have more room to work and I haven’t truly crafted in there since way before covid so I’m finding all sorts of stuff that’s all new to me again. :laughing: the past year or so it’s been a storage and dumping ground for anything craft related.

I wish you many productive hours of organizing so you may reclaim your space! :fist_left:

3 Likes

I made a second ATC today. Woo hoo! Can’t show the card but here is my work space after crafting :smirk:

9 Likes

Today I added the next stripe to my monthly club afghan! It’s the oatmeal colored one, and it’s the star stitch, which I’d never done before. I’m learning so many stitches!

12 Likes

Nice stamp with the butterfly.

2 Likes

Good morning everyone.
And another day of gloomy grey skies. Did just a few flowers stitching around them with primary colors on the WIP Meadow mini quilt.

Continued crafting my first pocket letter.

Started a second pocket letter just the background pieces cutting with scissors.

Tea and a little coloring of a bird cage in gold Derwent metallic.

Went searching for my ATC’s box had not opened it in years. Looked at dates few random… 2010 to 2014 box has still 1/3 space for new atc cards…box is 7’ long.
There are a few partially finished ones…which I might embellish a bit more.
Made 1 ATC and cut out some new atc backgrounds of thick roses cardstock leftover found last week.

I am still busy sorting out crafts stuff .
Crochet now resides in hatbox just a WIP scarf,variety leftover yarns.
WIP washcloth Sugar 'n Cream pink cotton yarn maybe I do this week some rows.

Cardmaking just 1 neutral card no sentiment yet.

Baked corn bread from BHG cookbook recipe.

6 Likes

My thing a day was mending three of my husband’s favorite t-shirts…they really belong in the rag bin, but he wears them to work out and loves them so much…I hate mending, so doing it first thing got it out of the way to work on more things I like to do!

6 Likes

Since we have an excess of snow here I’m planning to do some snow dyeing today!! Prepping my fabric now. :snowflake:

6 Likes

I was going to ask you if the fabrics in the middle of your heart BOM were ones you’ve dyed? Because I’m pretty sure that the green fabric I used on one of yesterday’s economy blocks was some ice dyed fabric you sent me in a dyeing swap. I can’t wait to see your results, we didn’t have enough snow here this year too do it. I did some with a bag of ice and that was pretty cool. The effects are amazing.

2 Likes

I did dye the heart fabric! I think that was just traditional tie-dye. I will have to look at your economy blocks with a closer eye! (ETA: I just looked back - bottom left? That’s way to nice to be mine. You give me too much credit! :laughing:)

But yay for using dyed fabric!! I loved the background fabric you used in your heart block tutorial. :heart:

I like the effect you get with ice better, but we got 2 feet of snow between Mon and Tues so I’m putting it to good use. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

@Lynx I’m a zookeeper :slight_smile: so I have snakes at work I care for and then my pet snakes at home. I clarified the shed was from a work snake out of habit. This particular work snake is venomous and I don’t want people to think I have diamondbacks at home chilling in my living room lol.

9 Likes

We used to have a cool reptile museum here in Wilmington, NC. The owner was bitten over 25 times, and hospitalized more than once and survived. Ironically, he did not die from snake bite…he was shot by his wife…so many stories about that museum, including the coral snake that escaped for weeks yet they did not close the museum to tourists…it is closed now for good, but there were some pretty deadly snakes there, my favorite being the fer-de-lance.

Cape Fear Serpentarium

3 Likes

Today I’m making soup! This is only my third time cooking in a crock pot…

(the picture is sideways… but you get the idea :upside_down_face:)

8 Likes

I made some bowl cosies. We started lockdown last March eating dinner at the table, as usual. After a month of 24/7 we decided that it’s ok to eat in front of the TV (we’re all adults!) Almost a year in, we’re still eating in front of the telly. So I’ve finally gotten around to making bowl cosies-but flatter so they can be used for plates.

And @Abbeeroad you inspired me, so I used some of my ice dyed fabric (which I subsequently stamped) for the centre of mine.

8 Likes

I ordered some more bird photos for cards. Here are some of my favorites:

11 Likes

Wow! That cardinal is gorgeous!!

2 Likes

I am definitely going to ask my maintenance person to get me a bird feeder set up this spring…we had several at our old house to attract beautiful birds…I have no idea what birds we have here, except I know we have egrets poking at the lawn… and crows…I just saw a bunch of robins and mocking birds…we do have jays and cardinals and loads of bluebirds…it will be fun to sit out this year now that we are more settled!

Your pictures are wonderful as are your birds!

4 Likes

Oh, all this bird talk reminds me! If you’re in Washington state (I know a lot of us are), please take down your bird feeders! Apparently there’s a bird pandemic happening now as well, and they want the BIRDS to social distance, so are asking people to take down feeders that encourage birds to congregate.

3 Likes