This shirt is haunted

…or cursed. I certainly cursed a lot while making it. Many, many issues with it.

FIRST issue. I am not happy with the vertical “center line” that I chose when I laid it out. I should have had it halfway between the skulls.

THEN. The stinking collar. Despite measuring more than once, the finished size was not the same as the neckline. (I fudged a little at the center back to make it work but I’m not pleased.). Not to mention, that after I cut the collar, I realized that the rose on the one point was oh so glaringly bright compared to the print on the other collar point. Out came my trusty Sharpie (light gray) to tone it down a bit. This I am pleased with. You wouldn’t even know I fixed it, would you?

AND THEN can we talk about the sleeves? Mind you, I have made this pattern before so why were the sleeves an inch too short?? Fine, wider cuffs then.

SERIOUSLY? The hem. Again, I’ve made this before! But somehow, this time the center front was shorter than the sides. What the heck? FINE! Shaped hem!

All around, an annoying sew.

Pattern is McCalls 8059 with added Chelsea collar.

Fabric is Spellbound Halloween Cotton from Joann.

14 Likes

All your extra efforts have paid off in what looks like a great top for October at the school library!

4 Likes

It’s a bummer when the crafting fights us. You certainly won the battle, though!

1 Like

It turned out very nice, despite the difficulties. You did a great job with the point of the collar; I would never have known you altered it. Very cute!

1 Like

@endymion I thought I was being so clever, balancing the rose and the star/black skull, but they did not, in fact balance at all! Time to make it disappear.

2 Likes

The kids liked it. Funny story. I wasn’t sure, after I put it on this morning, if the skulls were entirely okay for school. I had 4th and 5th grade today–the oldest ones that I teach. I asked the 5th graders, “Do you think this shirt is inappropriate for school, with the skulls?” They all said, oh, no, it’s not like it has BLOOD or GUNS. And then one girl asked, sympathetically, “Why? Did you get called in to have a chat with Mr. H- [head of school] about it?” ;).

10 Likes

Hahahaha! Your title is so fitting for this frustrating (to you) project. I think you came out on top! Love the fabric.

1 Like

And every single person in that school has a skull IN THEIR HEAD! Right now!

Hehe! That’s great!

4 Likes

It turned out great!

Thanks for sharing your honest progress story…goes to prove that even experienced seamstresses have bad sewing days! Glad you persisted!

Sounds like you have a good group of kids!

4 Likes

This is simply magical! I think you made a stunning shirt despite the difficulties. Maybe they even made it better!

1 Like

@AIMR Fifth grade is such a sweetspot–they’ve developed emotional intelligence, but the hormones haven’t really kicked in yet. I love them best.

Imagine them imagining what happens when adults get in trouble. Getting sent to THE OFFICE ;).

10 Likes

I always thought that if I ever were to teach, that is the grade I would want! My fifth grade teacher was the best I ever had and I still remember her fondly!

2 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :maple_leaf: Congrats! This fall-tastic project is one of this week’s featured projects! :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf:

2 Likes

This shirt is so well done! You pushed through all the difficulties and came up with something amazing!

1 Like

With your mad pattern-altering skills, I bet you could sew a really great top for the current site-wide challenge!

2 Likes

I had to search out another rose to compare and no, you cannot tell! Glad you didn’t get in trouble for wearing it. LOL!

3 Likes

Your endeavors paid off because this top is AWESOME!!

great shirt!
Thank you for sharing your travails. Makes me realize that I’m not the only one who struggles.

1 Like

That’s a great shirt with great fabric AND you have matching pants. It’s all a win.
I think everyone here knows the frustration. I managed to stop myself before making a glueing error yesterday only to find out I missed a whole step. “Flipping seriously??” Was shouted. Now I know how to frame it instead of “I should have…” turn into “Next time, I will remember to put the batting in then glue it.” Helps my brain, anyway.

3 Likes

I am kind of in love witb this shirt. Great job!