Time Lapse Videos of Process

I’m always sucked into time lapse videos of drawing and painting or other art-ing, so I’ve been trying to remember to get some videos of throwing. This one is from a little while ago, when I started working on smaller porcelain vases with skinny necks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Link:Time Lapse Wheel Throwin’

Edit to add: I want to watch your videos if you have them!

24 Likes

So cool! Though I still like to believe that you have gnome potters working for you to get all these tiny goodies made.

4 Likes

Heehee, that would be magical!

I also forgot to add that I’d love to see anyone else’s videos of making something!!! Seriously, they entrance me!!

2 Likes

The process is intriguing…like magic!
I may have watched it more than once :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I loved watching this.
I once tried pottery and it was such fun - although I distinctly remember starting on the wheel to make a small bowl and ending up with a very small eggcup. :wink:

2 Likes

LOLOLOL. Me too. And topics range from pottery to acrylic pours to oil pastels…lol.

2 Likes

Awesome! I loved getting to see you work.

2 Likes

very shouty I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!

And now I’m dying, because you have no idea how I have been imagining how y’all make the tiny tiny tiny pottery. I was so off base, I was in the stands!

Thank you so much for sharing! \m/

3 Likes

this is great! I had no idea how you did the tiny wheel things, but of course it’s obvious once you see it! :green_heart:

2 Likes

Haha! Yup! That’s how it all begins…! :wink:

It happens, LOL.

@JoyfulClover, Now I’m very curious!

@Mountains_and_Clouds
I envisioned you hunched over the standard sized wheel, trying to make tiny little pieces, directly on the base, just like one would do a regular piece. But I just keep trying to figure out how you would get your hands/fingers under the tiny little bowls/cups. Like a Blefuscu making for a Lilliput.

But working small on a tower of clay, and then shaping the base to sever make a LOT more sense. And now it seems so obvious, I feel silly. Of course that’s how one would make it!

1 Like

Don’t feel silly at all! I still sometimes make sake cups like that (and they aren’t too much bigger). Throwing off the mound is great because I don’t have to keep centering, and it gives the height to help see things better (as well as get under them). It does come with challenges. ie: One needs to be very aware of where the bottom of the piece is (I have cut them off the bottoms of pieces by accident when I’m not paying attention.). I am also a klutz, so I tend to drop the wet pieces as I move them off to a board, etc.

[Anything that is bigger than a sake cup really should be thrown by itself, as the floor needs to be compressed so it doesn’t crack later.]

2 Likes

All my little beginner pieces were on the flat base but still cracked (I think due to air bubbles). So that’s something different.

All this talk makes me want to take the class again. But I’m trying to do more with what I have (to go deeper, not wider). Maybe it will be my reward for sticking with it! But that’s like going for ice cream after losing 10 lbs.

3 Likes

Heehee! It is hard to not want to try and do ALL THE THINGS.

3 Likes

I really, really do want to make all the things. And try all the mediums. And talk to all the makers. And ask all the questions.

But I really love my dogs, and like a dry home, with running water and electric. So, seems I need to prioritize instead.

3 Likes

Yep. Priorities. Rarrrrrr.

1 Like

The master potter at Pennsic, who does a bunch of wheel work on site (and a woodfire kiln they build into the bank of a stream every year) does 3-4 cups of similar size to your thumbprint ones per center, but a lot of his centering process also involves compacting the clay. My child has spent hours standing around watching him work, so we have a couple of his pieces that were made & fired on site.

Oh yeah, not saying I never have thrown mugs off the mound… HAHA. But I know some people who throw everything directly on the wheel or bat, no matter how small.

Does your child make pottery yet?? :smiley:

I tried to sign her up for a wheel class at the local arts center, but they didn’t have enough enrollment & had to cancel. :cry:

Awww shucks! That’s so sad. :frowning: