Tips and Tricks for New Users

Awesome! Thank you for the basics- this looks like a fantastic new forum that we can really use!

4 Likes

@TheSapphireMoon Yep. You have to do the things he tells you to. If he gives you links, click on and read them. If he asks you to do a task, like click on the bookmark symbol, you have to do so in order for him to give you the next lesson. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @LupaWulf! Yep, lots of fun stuff to play with.

2 Likes

I love, love, love that tutorial!

2 Likes

Oh my god!!! The website remembers when youโ€™re typing an answer but you donโ€™t post it and you go look at other things (and I mean, you close the browser). Then when you come back to the topic it shows your reply you already typed! How cool is that!!!

7 Likes

@Riechan
yes, i tend to open up second and third windows. and i was looking for a previous post, and it followed me into the other windows.

I DID learn, though. Say I open up the message in window 1. and it follows me to 2 and 3. When I post it in either 2 or 3, when I go back to 1, itโ€™s still there? So you can cancel and abandon that message (in tab 1).
[I was worried it would either delete the post from tab 2, or it wouldnโ€™t have posted because it was originally opened in tab 1.]

1 Like

I cannot count how many times I accidentally closed tabs of drafts over the years and lost them on Cster. Soooo many times. So many curse words mumbled in my head. :rofl:

6 Likes

strike through
bold
italic
superscript

Iโ€™m testing out some coding. I know there are buttons for b & i.
Are there any more of these <> </> that Iโ€™ve missed? I think organized and unorganized lists work too.

3 Likes

imera made a table using this info HTML Tables
I think other but not all html tags will work.
underline

header1

header2

Edit: like Underline didnโ€™t work

A lot of things changed with HTML5

Good point

it looks like you can use small & big for text:

small text!
<small>small text!</small>

big text
<big>big text!</big>

~

& ordered/unordered lists (ul, ol, li) work, but it might be easier to just use numbers or asterisks.

numbered list (starting from any number):
1. first thing
2. second thing

list:
* first thing
* second thing

& you can nest lists (using spaces before your number or asterisk):

• pets
    1. cat
    2. dog
      (many dog)
      • german shepherd
      • golden retriever
  • food
    • pizza
    • sushi

code:
* pets
(2 spaces)1. cat
(2 spaces)2. dog
(2 spaces)(many dog)
(5 spaces)* german shepherd
(5 spaces)* golden retriever
* food
(2 spaces)* pizza
(2 spaces)* sushi

~

you can make tables:

first header second header
content 1 content 2
content 1 content 2

code:
| first header | second header |
| --- | --- |
| content 1 | content 2 |
| content 1 | content 2 |

(more info here: organizing information with tables)

6 Likes

Ah, cool. I thought that was a list, not a table. Groovy. I tried out underline too, it just moved over to the right in the preview panel (I used ul, did you just try u?)

underline

Whatโ€™s the trick for posting gifs? Just post the link? Let me try

8 Likes

6 Likes

I just tried u

Oh! How did you do strike through?

@jellybean how did you get the text to show up without it formatting? I canโ€™t show @grenouille78 how to do the strike-through because when I type it, the symbols disappear, lol.

1 Like

< s > strike thru < /s > = strike thru

but leave out any spaces between the <>

3 Likes

@AIMR and @magpie are cool super-dee-duper!

2 Likes