Tips and Tricks for New Users

For text without formatting, select your text & use ‘Preformatted text’ or surround your text with backticks ( ` ):

you get text that looks like this:
no formatting!

which looks like this in the editor:
`no formatting!`

~

or it looks like you can use backslashes in front of your tags or asterisks:
`no formatting!`
*no formatting!*
<s>no formatting!</s>
<b>no formatting!</b>
<small>no formatting!</small>

they look like this in the editor:
image (🠠 image)

2 Likes

<small>small text</small>
small text
small text
<small>small text</small>

Fun! Thanks @jellybean

1 Like

On the old site I used to cheat by quoting a post to steal the formatting, super easy. Here that doesn’t seem to work, or I haven’t figured it out yet anyhow. I do like the instant preview panel a whole lot, takes up half the screen but makes for easier editing.

1 Like

looks like if you highlight the text you want & use the "Quote that comes up, it will keep the original formatting & you can grab what you want from it:

Thanks jb! I’ll try from a desktop, this tablet doesn’t play nice with the internet :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I did that too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does anyone know how to change text colors?

I’ve tried all the methods (html, bbcode, markdown) that I can think of but it doesn’t work. Perhaps this is something admins can turn on for us? Or install a module etc?

[color=#F00]red[/color]

[color=red]red[/color]

<p style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Red paragraph text</p>

Red paragraph text

<span style="color:red">cardinals</span>
cardinals

<font color="red">This is some text!</font>
This is some text!

No plans for font [color] at this time. We do have <ins> insert tag and the <del> delete tag, as well as a variety of check marks. Both great options for swap organization.

Here are the checkmark options:

Here is how to make them in a post:

[ ] [*] [x] [_]
8 Likes

Oooo, I like those checkboxes! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Bookmarked, thank you!

1 Like

Welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You know what I love? When you want to share another site (like an artist blog, or something that inspires you) you can post the link and a view comes up!

Like this!

I love her work:

Isn’t this the coolest? No need to bog down the system! Just post the link!

6 Likes

I love this, too! It’s faster and it takes up less of our resources (photo uploads = resources = $). I like the little text snippet preview, too. All good stuff.

6 Likes

I like this feature also.

I just have a general question about pics though. I read the TOS (and I have to say they are really well written in laymans terms and easy to get through!)

So we can post a link to a site which will show a preview of the text and image.
But we can’t link directly to an image (like a link that would end in .jpg for example) and all it shows is a pic.
Does that apply to all pics? I can see where we shouldn’t do it for crafts/art work as it implies we own it etc, and you should always give credit and all that jazz.
But what about memes and gifs and other random stuff? Just curious about where that line is drawn.

You’re in our brains (scary, but welcome to the fray :laughing:). We are discussing and clarifying this currently. I’m not about citing memes MLA or APA style, but we’ll get it all in writing within the TOS, so everyone knows & Mods can reference when needed.

3 Likes

hahaha. MLA citation of memes!

Thanks! I was just curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all - I know I saw someone posted it recently, but it wasn’t in this thread (at least not that I could find)… I heard rumor that you can ask (at) discobot for an advanced tutorial? Does anyone know how to do that? I finished the basic one but I think there’s more you can do. I tried the (at) discobot display help options, which only lists the ‘start tutorial’, which restarted the one I’ve already done. Thanks in advance! Now to figure out how to insert gifs…

Oh, hm! That wasn’t too bad :smiley:

(Alt Text

1 Like

That’s what librarians like myself are here for. :grin:
But yes, I’ve been curious about some of the TOS and tech minutiae but am waiting to ask questions til things are a little more mellowed out. Answers also have a way of appearing when I sit back and watch. Like this issue of what does and does not bog down the server, that’s something I want to explore.

3 Likes

Ermegersh I’m so dumb. It’s easy… you just have to tell it to start advanced tutorial. I’d just said (at) discobot advanced tutorial without the one word. D’oh.

1 Like