I was soooo happy to participate in this last TM Patch swap (even though I was late; so sorry!!), because I haven’t made or received them in AAAAAGES and they are genuinely one of my absolute favorite crafts! Also, I’m going to need a lot of them to make the two separate notebook covers I have in mind, so if anyone ever wants to do a private swap for TM patches with me, absolutely hit me up!
Anyway, here are the two I made for JoyfulClover, who likes aliens and robots.
Both of these I just totally made up as I went along. For the alien I at least drew a quick sketch on paper and made myself a little stencil, but it’s not consciously based on any particular pop culture alien or anything. I was excited to get to use some more of that space fabric; I had to get some space fabric in a hurry a while ago for another swap and wasn’t going into stores at the time because of pandemic, so I ended up getting a wall tapestry of space and just cutting it up! It’s a little more slippery than the quilting cotton I usually used but ended up working out great! I still have loads left for more future spacey projects.
This robot I didn’t even make a stencil for; I just picked up the felt and started cutting. It’s also one of my favorite TM patches I’ve made. I had SO much fun adding each detail one at a time as they occurred to me. It wasn’t until I’d sewn on the felt for the body and head that I decided to make a treadmill for the bottom, mostly because I hadn’t left myself enough room for legs. At that point I was using mostly just blue and grey, but when I was picking out buttons I liked the contrast of the orange, so ended up carrying that through the rest of the design as well. For the arms, I decided more texture would look great with the buttons, so I pulled out some beads. And it’s always fun to have a reason to use my other random notions, like the little bow on the head and the “R”. I’m so glad you like it, JClover; it was hard to part with!
Next, here are the patches I made for marionberries:
These were a challenge for me, since she wanted small patches, just 3x3". As you can see from the slightly rectangular shape, I didn’t get the measurements exactly right, but I tried! Since I tend to do felt applique and I can only cut it so small, it took me a while to decide on designs. But a couple of her themes were “hearts” and “details from the forest,” so I thought those would be the easiest to do in this small form. I didn’t want to make them too plain though, so I added some buttons and beads to these as well.
I had a ton of fun crafting for both my partners, and I LOVED the patches I got in return as well! If people can forgive my occasional lateness, I can’t WAIT for another round of this swap!!