Town Tryptic Pocket Letter

I joined the latest round of the Pocket Letter swap and really wanted to do something inspired by Richard Scarry and Busy Town. It’s not nearly as busy, but it was a lot of fun to make.
I constructed it all as one piece. Then, I cut it to fit the Pocket Letter pouch. I didn’t want to leave out the gaps, so I took them and created flaps that can be folded out when they are removed.

In the pouches.

The flaps folded back.

All together.

I also sent my partner a blank copy so she can color it, too.
I was also hungry and on a diet when I made it, so I didn’t mean to add Grimace, but apparently, I wanted Mickey D’s.
The cat on top of the gray house was colored to resemble my dear Venkman.

25 Likes

There are so many fun little details to draw the eye! And what a sweet tribute to your kitty, too. :heart:

1 Like

How fun! I love that each piece stands on its own but together show the full neighborhood. And the touch of folding the flaps was a great idea and the perfect amount to make the picture flow with the dividers. I love all the little details and the story it tells. Really thoughtful and well done!

3 Likes

This is epic!

1 Like

This is so sweet. You totally captured the feel of Scarry’s style, but also made it your own. Very cool.

1 Like

I love RS, and your version is terrific. So bright and cheery and captivating, just like his illustrations.

1 Like

I just love this piece! So creative and full of details. Lol…grimace is so having a moment rn. :laughing:

1 Like

I love how fun and busy this is! All kinds of people and critters just doing their thing! :heart: And a hello to lil Venkman.

1 Like

Very charming! I think you definitely captured a Richard Scarry vibe.

2 Likes

:bulb: Congratulations! This brilliant project is featured this week! :bulb:

1 Like

Absoutely adorable! I just love this so much!

1 Like

This is so fantastic, and beautifully done too!! I just love it, especially the kitties :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

It’s great! I love all the little details and the little fold out bits.

1 Like

I just noticed the couple smooching. How cute. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love it! Richard Scarry, heck yeah! I also see a bit of Sesame Street, but less tall brick buildings. Aw, look at the kissing couple! There’s so much to see. I love that you added Venkman. Kid Grimace is awesome :purple_heart:

1 Like

This is so colorful and so fun! I love how the scene traverses the three cards. This has such a vintage feel, like an illustration I would’ve seen when I was a kid. The more I look at it, the more of a nostalgic feeling I get.

1 Like

So true! I have a couple large hardback children’s intro to reading books from the 70s that I used to read constantly as a kid, mostly because of the rad illustrations. If I had them here I’d totally show y’all a photo. Oh, it’s called Curbstone Dragons and Mustard Seed Magic

1 Like

They look like fun books!

1 Like

I love this. Strong Sesame Street vibes of my youth. Really sweet, gets me right in the nostalgia bone.

1 Like