Turmeric Sugar Cookies

I ran across this recipe for turmeric sugar cookies and they sounded just weird enough that I just had to try them :joy: They’re basically snickerdoodles but with turmeric in place of cinnamon. They are indeed a bit weird, but in a totally addictive way.

I couldn’t get a photo that showed quite how vibrantly yellow they are, this was as close as I could get (standing on my kitchen counter holding the plate a foot from the light fixture)

The turmeric turns a dark red-orange inside the cookies, it’s really pretty!

14 Likes

Interesting. They do look pretty. I am not really a sugar cookie fan, but tumeric is supposed to be good for cholesterol. What does tumeric taste like?

1 Like

I can’t even imagine turmeric sugar cookies. You’re right these sound weird enough to give a try.

@Lynx turmeric is kinda pungent and bitter. It can make your tongue kinda numb feeling if you use too much. It’s what makes yellow mustard yellow and it’s used a lot in middle eastern and Indian dishes.

2 Likes

Ugh, then it sounds like I probably wouldn’t like it.

1 Like

I love tumeric! I bought the biggest jar I could find at the Indian grocery. I think it depends on how you use it…basically, it is a key ingredient in curries. As a matter of fact, hubby cooked us dinner tonight combining tumeric with coconut milk to make a yummy sauce with chicken, veggies and rice. Give it a try.

I am going to try these cookies…most cookies are too sweet for my taste. Thanks for sharing…and yes, they are pretty!

2 Likes

Turmeric is supposed to be good against inflammations too!

I drink a lot of turmeric tea, I like it too but not too much, it is a strange taste if you ask me haha

This really sounds very strange and interesting! The colour is so pretty (I sometimes add a little turmeric to rice). And strange can be good :smile:

1 Like

They look weirdly amazing, I think I’d try one!

What is a snickerdoodle?

2 Likes

they are soft and chewy cookies. They are made with butter, sugar, shortening, eggs, vanilla, flour, cream of tarter, baking power, and salt. The cream of tarter is supposed to be the special ingredient that gives them their chewiness. Then the cookies are rolled in cinnamon before baking

1 Like

That sounds interesting!

1 Like

Fascinating.
I use quite a bit of turmeric in savory dishes, and I drink the occasional turmeric tea but I’ve not used turmeric in baked goods. I will have to give this a try…or maybe just add a smidge of turmeric to my favorite shortbread recipe :smiley:

3 Likes

These seem so odd, but intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Oooh! I bet my hubby would like them. I will google a recipe :cookie:

1 Like

Oooooo, now this is interesting! I like turmeric and TheMisterT who does a bunch of delicious and varietal cooking makes lots of things with turmeric. Which makes me wonder how your fingers are after eating these? Do they stain?

I ended up making napkins especially for when we have turmeric heavy foods (yellow linen) and even made TheMisterT a special shirt to wear when cooking, because that stuff is hard to get out of cloth! And he won’t wear an apron.

2 Likes

I use tumeric for my arthritis…but I make Golden Milk which tastes way better.

2 Likes

Yes…I have used tumeric specifically to dye cloth…it does stain badly…ha ha a cooking t-shirt sounds like a great idea!!!

1 Like

Pre-stained!

8 Likes

Hahaha!

2 Likes

Those seem very interesting! I got the turmeric, orange & star anise tea from Twinings and it smelled so weird I thought I’d hate it but it’s actually really yummy so I can see how these cookies are good in a unique way. If someone ate these cookies with that tea they’d probably turn yellow!

1 Like

Double hahahaha! That is one funny shirt :joy:

1 Like

Huh, I always thought a snickerdoodle was just a cinnamon-sugar cookie rolled in more cinnamon-sugar… how did I not know about the cream of tartar thing?! TIL :smile:

Nope, no staining with these! I gave these out to my son’s 8-year-old friends at a playdate and none of them managed to stain anything in my house with them (well, at least I haven’t found any stains yet!) And that turmeric shirt is hilarious! I think I may need one in my life!

2 Likes