Two altered t-shirts (snow dye and reconstruction)

Here’s a pair of shirts I finished last month, one for a swap and the other just for fun!

The snow dye was on a white shirt I got in a prize drawing at a local brewery.

I used powdered RIT dye in blue and green :blue_heart::green_heart: and when the snow had melted away, I microwaved the shirt in a covered bowl to heat set it.

I had a TARDIS shirt I wanted to recon for my swap partner @Tapestry but it needed to be a different size - so I started with the blue shirt as a base.

I pinned the black shirt underneath the blue and machine stitched around the graphic, with a few lines across to make it feel more integrated. Then I hand stitched next to the machine stitch with embroidery floss and cut away the blue from the outside and the black from the inside like a reverse-applique.

I made new sleeves from the bottom edge of the black shirt using the blue sleeves as a tracing pattern. They got an outline of decorative stitching as well.

I thought I might be done, but the back had all this open space… the perfect spot for more reverse-applique! Since the TARDIS has some secret writing on it (‘Bad Wolf’ graffiti that glows in the dark), I thought a cool wolf claw mark would work.

It barely put a dent in the t-shirt bin in my craft room… I need to make a quilt or something next!

22 Likes

These turned out great!

1 Like

Super cool! Love the snow dyed one!

2 Likes

Your hand stitching is over the top…what a wonderful way to combine two different t-shirts…or making a new size!! I love the back detail as well…clever!

The colors of the other shirt turned out really nice…

You have given me a way to save one of my husband’s favorite band shirts as well!

3 Likes

I love that Tardis shirt! The reverse applique is so clever. I love that you thought of those lines across the Tardis print. They really add a lot to the design and I would never have thought of that.

1 Like

I love recon, especially the kind of shatter-y lines around the front graphic! That came out really well.

2 Likes

Those both turned out really well!! I’m not a big Dr Who fan but that t-shirt is totally awesome!

1 Like

Those are so cool and so different! I’ve not really experimented with dieing but now I’m really wanting to! I love the innovative solution you came up with for the TARDIS shirt! Awesome work! PS The beer shirt looks much cooler with that snow die!

1 Like

your reverse applique skills continue to amaze me

2 Likes

As the recipient of that awesome Tardis shirt I am 100% grateful for your wonderful reverse applique skills! It’s one of my fave shirts now.

That snow dye is such a cool technique and came out beautifully!

2 Likes

Congrats! You Altered T-Shirts are one of this week’s featured projects. Way to go!

2 Likes

Your shirts are awesome! I love the way you integrated the design on the recon. I have used reverse applique to disguise holes before but this is a entirely other level.

1 Like

Get outta here! Those are amazing! The snow dying is whoa, cool, and that reverse applique turned out super good. Nice one!

1 Like

Both the shirts are great but I might have to steal that Tardis shirt idea. I have a Simpsons Milhouse shirt that is sized for a kid that I would LOVE to recon to wear one day!

4 Likes

Yay, thanks everyone! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wow! These are really cool :smiley:

1 Like

Very cool!

2 Likes

Such a great way to refresh and revamp tshirts! Great job!

2 Likes