Here’s a pair of shirts I finished last month, one for a swap and the other just for fun!
The snow dye was on a white shirt I got in a prize drawing at a local brewery.
I used powdered RIT dye in blue and green and when the snow had melted away, I microwaved the shirt in a covered bowl to heat set it.
I had a TARDIS shirt I wanted to recon for my swap partner @Tapestry but it needed to be a different size - so I started with the blue shirt as a base.
I pinned the black shirt underneath the blue and machine stitched around the graphic, with a few lines across to make it feel more integrated. Then I hand stitched next to the machine stitch with embroidery floss and cut away the blue from the outside and the black from the inside like a reverse-applique.
I made new sleeves from the bottom edge of the black shirt using the blue sleeves as a tracing pattern. They got an outline of decorative stitching as well.
I thought I might be done, but the back had all this open space… the perfect spot for more reverse-applique! Since the TARDIS has some secret writing on it (‘Bad Wolf’ graffiti that glows in the dark), I thought a cool wolf claw mark would work.
It barely put a dent in the t-shirt bin in my craft room… I need to make a quilt or something next!