Typewriter letters, wood stamps, and scrap clay pieces

Everything I’ve posted so far has been in sets of three. Huh.
Anyway, a while back I bought typeballs from IBM Selectric typewriters, with the intention of texturing pottery with them. They’ve been fun. And sometimes when I’m slab building, I find that what I make with my scraps can be more successful than the planned project. In the case of the two front pieces, I don’t even remember what they were constructed from scraps of, or even whether I even completed the intended projects! It was fun to add blood-red underglaze and super-shiny clear glaze to the “gashes.”

27 Likes

those are awesome! the more I look the more I love them!

2 Likes

I really like the texture from the typewriter fonts!

1 Like

The typewriter idea is so clever!

2 Likes

Very different (at least very new to my eye), and therefore incredibly attractive.

:metal:

2 Likes

These are super cool. I love the texture and blood red under glaze.

1 Like

So cool! The texture and glazes look magical on these. What a great recycling idea.
You just inspired me to go out to our electronics recycling pile at work and see if I could find any fun items for monoprinting. I mostly just found dust, but I’ll be sure to keep checking back. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ooh, I’d love to see what you come up with! There’s so much great texture to find in old metal, wood, and plastic stuff.

1 Like

Those turned out amazing! Do you texturize before you shape the slab or after?

1 Like

Super fun! Love how they turned out. Kinda steampunkish.

1 Like

Before cutting the slab. So the two front pieces were made from scraps cut from several other pieces, patchworked together. Also, I tried to maintain the scraps’ shapes as much as possible, so the clay told me a lot about how the pieces would be shaped.

2 Likes

This is the coolest!

1 Like

Love these. The shapes and textures are wonderful.

1 Like

They look so wicked! Very unique. I like that you let the clay tell you what it wants to be. I think that is a very nifty way to work with materials.

So cool! Love the text-texture

1 Like

I really like these. And the fact they were made from your “scraps” is awesome.

1 Like

Cool, I really like all the texture! And they do look great as a threesome. I’ve used the type balls in encaustic wax but hadn’t thought of other squishy substrates

1 Like

These are completely amazing. And I LOVE that you use typewriters to texture! SUPER super creative!

2 Likes

Ooooh these are really cool! Good use of old type letters!! (and I love the red glaze too!)

1 Like

The typewriter ball is perfect for this application! You would almost have to have something like that as stamping each letter would be tedious and take way more time than it should. I really enjoy these pieces. :heart:

2 Likes