Upcycled Halloween Treat Bags

I have no idea if my neighborhood is going to get any trick-or-treaters this year but I wanted to be prepared just in case. I figure bags are the way to go so that we aren’t all digging through the candy bowl, and so kids could get plenty of candy - not just one or two pieces. Looking around the dollar store I couldn’t find any paper bags the right size so I figured it would have to be plastic sandwich bags - functional but boring.

But this morning I had a sudden flash of inspiration to make some cute paper bags out of materials I had on hand.

I had an old Russian book lying around from the library’s discard table but had been somewhat reluctant to use because I had no idea what it was about (could be a treatise on potatoes, could be about war crimes) but today was the day! I pulled out a couple signatures, cut off the inner margins my paper trimmer, folded, glued, and voila! The most complicated part was avoiding my foster kitten’s help.

I made 40 and added some stickers that had been lying in the Halloween box for a couple years as a seasonal touch. I love how they turned out!

I’ll be leaving my light on, and a basket of treat bags outside my door so the kids can get their candy without extra contact. Hopefully we get some takers!

18 Likes

These are sooo much better than plastic baggies! I want to go trick or treating at your house!

1 Like

That is so festive! What a fun idea! Let us know if there are any takers.

1 Like

These are fantastic! Love your display too.

That is so smart!

Very cute idea!

Clever AND ecological. AWESOME!

What a great way to reuse materials! You also took some great pics to show us.

In the end, only a couple bags were taken and given the lack of noise outside my door I suspect it was by my (adult) neighbors, which is totally ok! I’m still counting it as a success and will save the bags for next year and take the leftover candy in for the student employees at my library. With a bit held back for anxiety-eating on election night.

4 Likes

These are beautiful!

I used organza bags that I have for my shop. I made up 40, and they were going slowly but steadily for about 2 hours, then when my husband got up to let the dog out around 7:15, I put out more. I counted that I had 20 on the table, so we could keep watching our movie for a bit longer before I got up to check again. We heard quite a bit of noise a minute or two later, so I checked again. All 20 were taken in under 5 mins. Probably 3 minutes. Not sure if a few people each took several, or if there was a huge group walking together who came through all at once. After that, I just had 4 left, and when those were gone, we pulled in our table and decorations, and turned out our lights at 7:20. First time I’ve ever run out of candy!

Love this idea! Bookmarking for next year.