Updated: BBQ Roasted Chickpeas

I’m posting the photos from my phone but will add the recipe when I’m on a computer. Here’s the recipe I usually use for my BBQ roasted chickpeas. It’s adapted from Seriously Delish by Jessica Merchant.

1/2 T paprika
1 T onion powder
1/2 T light brown sugar
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 T olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 425*F.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the spices and sugar.
  3. Pat the chickpeas dry with a towel and remove any skins that become loose. Add the chickpeas to a bowl and toss them with the olive oil and 3/4 of the spice mix. Mix well to coat the chickpeas and then spread them on a nonstick baking sheet.
  4. Bake the chickpeas for 20 minutes, toss them with a spatula, and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.
  5. Taste the chickpeas and season with the additional spice mix if needed. If you don’t need the extra spice mix, you can store it in a sealed bag for next time (or popcorn, or…)

These are best day of; they start to lose their crunch. You can store them in a sealed container for a few days.

This time I cut back on the onion powder and salt and added a dash of cayenne (that I’m not really picking up).

In my experience, the burned looking ones are usually the best ones, although some of these were legit charred :woman_shrugging:.

Spice mix:

Fresh out of the oven:

Artfully arranged and w/extra seasoning:

11 Likes

One of my favorite go to snacks!

Mhm, yes please post the recipe!

I love chicken peas!!
And the word is so fun haha, if I would translate it, we would call them frog peas :joy:

Did you use the canned peas or dried ones?

I love chickpeas! It has been ages since I’ve roasted a batch…seeing yours makes me wanna make some soon!

looks tasty! I too am interested in the recipe. :grin:

Yummy!

yes, also one of my favs. they are so versatile as they are a great base for so many different flavors. I like hot flakes. sometimes with garlic. if i’m feeling sassy, a ranch packet. but basic sale and pepper is winner!

and you can use the liquid for aquafab! huzzah!!!

Recipe added! I also retagged it as snack because I discovered there’s a tag for that.

I just placed a grocery order and if everything is in stock, I should be getting some chick peas in my order. I’m almost out of crunchy snacks, but I think I have all of the ingredients for these. Definitely bookmarked!

Yum! Chickpeas are one of the things we stocked up on. Thanks for sharing this!

Glad to help! The great thing is that you really can season them however you want, so if you don’t quite have everything it’s not a huge deal. (The chickpeas are kind of vital, though.)