Use it or lose it! A sharing and caring gift-along

Looks like a good way to keep a dog busy! Glad you could use what I sent!

2 Likes

Looks great!!!

Is it just a soft place to lay down or does it serve another purpose?

We use it to hide bits of treats and kibble. It encourages dogs to “snuffle” or sniff them out which is a beneficial brain activity. It really helps our anxious pup as a distraction, game, and a way to calm her down.

Oh also, it can be used as sort of a slow-feeder too for dogs who eat too fast.

4 Likes

Very neat!!!

Two of my dogs eat at the speed of light and little Nana eats slowly so I fed her in my bedroom with the door closed so the others don’t steal from her.

3 Likes

I know its getting off topic, but what did you use for the base of the mat?

Something I crocheted and abandoned. I made a post about the mat in case people are curious

5 Likes

Has Izzy tried it out?? I had never heard of them before - it is nice to see things being developed like this!!

I’m tempted to try one for my fast eater or my constantly begging treats (2 separate dogs).

1 Like

I just made one for my cats. They love it and have spent a lot of time hunting for dry treats! They are fast, though…I think the two of them found the treats in less than 5 minutes! :grin: They know I will fill it up if they find them all (I check by shaking it out!).

3 Likes

Oh yeah she loves it! I highly recommend it, and its so easy to make. If you prefer not to crochet your own mesh, you can easily find a substitute at the dollar store or your local all-purpose store (Meijer or Walmart or something). Some people use sink liners that have holes in them. I like the crochet version because it’s machine washable.

I’ve also seen versions that are made into balls too, which are probably more travel friendly.

3 Likes

This is great! When my dog was being treated for heartworms he had to be on exercise restriction and was not allowed to do anything. Puzzle toys and snuffle mats were a life saver. You are right about them being too small and pricey. I crochet! This might be a great gift for my friends who also have pets. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I made one using a sink mat!

@susieoregon --hey, do you need some fleece pieces? I have loads I am trying to destash for my move!!

5 Likes

I would love some! Thank you so much Linda. I will DM you my address.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Reinikka!

10 Likes

I can’t wait to get back stateside so I can participate in this thread! I’ll add more to my “shop” to share as well. I love how everyone is so nice and willing to share their stash with the community.

4 Likes

Thank you so much @Reinikka!!!

These will come in handy at our end-of-year party at homeschool group and potentially at some library programs :heart:

11 Likes

Does anyone need any squares for a scrappy project? My quilting cotton scrap bin is overflowing and I’d love to rehome some of it. Happy to cut down to whatever size you need (anywhere between 1.5 and 6 inch squares) and can probably do color requests as well.

11 Likes

You know I will say yes to any/all 5” squares! I have some of your teeny wee postage stamp sized little floral prints that I just take out & admire. I’m starting to use up my stash of squares, it’s going to happen this year!

2 Likes

Can do!

3 Likes

I would take some just “raw” scraps - since I only do improv quilting, I use any and all shapes! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any body want this cookbook? It really does have some easy and good recipes, and is a fun read if you are a bit on the irreverent side…also, good tips and ideas for beginners. Sorry, USA shipping only as I can send it media mail for cheap(ish).

2 Likes