Izzy's Snuffle Mat DIY

I have an anxious pup. So I’ve done a lot of reading about strategies and tricks and toys we can use to help her calm down. One of those things is a snuffle mat, though if you look online or in stores, they are generally kind of small (maybe a foot across) and expensive to boot. When I found tutorials on youtube of how to make my own, I had to give it a go.

I already had a bunch of fleece in my stash that had been languishing for overly long. As well, I had abandoned another project which conveniently left me with a premade crochet mesh base to work with.

(Said abandoned Halloween costume project)

I cut a bunch of fleece strips, approximately 1.5 inches wide by 8 - 10 inches length (no rulers used here), and then tied them to the mesh to create a full fluffy mat waiting to hide all the treats. Its a fantastic distraction when the neighbor dogs get into a bark-off. Also, if your pup eats too fast, its great for that too.

Thank you @AIMR for sending some more fleece to finish off the whole mat! :heart:

19 Likes

That’s one lucky pup and a great project!

2 Likes

I’m so glad you found something that works for Izzy!

1 Like

What a great diy version! A friend has a new pup, this will be something i will suggest to her!

2 Likes

100 percent making one! Awesome project.

1 Like

Aww, great project and sweet pupper.

1 Like

Thank you all! There are also DIY ball versions too that look more portable friendly for travel. I learned all about this via YouTube in case someone wants to see step-by-step instructions.

1 Like

Wonderful! I love that you even had on hand a you-made base for it! I have always kind of wanted to make a snuffle mat, but I think Delia would just chew the fabric! She doesn’t “need” one, but soooo cooool!

Was your unfinished costume a pinata? Because AWESOME!

1 Like

Haha it was maybe going to be a pinata but I didn’t have enough yarn. I also was toying with being a “Yarnie” just head to toe knits, and yarn, and a yarn ball hat, but I hated how the hat turned out so I quit.

2 Likes

This is soo clever! Looks like Izzy loves it, too. You’re such a great dog mom. :smile: :heart:

2 Likes

I found this so interesting that I bought one and we tried it with all three dogs AND Jackson’s cat and it was a BIG success with all of them!!

So THANK YOU from my pets and myself for introducing us to Snuffle Mats!! :heart:

1 Like

Yes! That’s awesome!! I hope they enjoy it for a long time :heart:

1 Like

If I didn’t add stuff to their real meals (like left over eggs or such), I would be tempted to make their feeding bowls snuffle bowls to slow them down!! :wink:
I have been using them for treats. Lady figured out that she should just grab the whole thing from Keeva which almost caused all the treats to go flying. I may have to nail it to the floor! (not really, but something) LOL!!

Haha, I have been worried about Izzy figuring out she can just flip it over or shake it around to get the treats out, but she’s been pretty good about it. Takes out some of the fun!

1 Like