Use it or lose it! A sharing and caring gift-along

I have this beauty in my hands, thank you @Lothruin! & thanks @curiousfae for the delivery!

Now to figure out how to help it be finished again.

16 Likes

I was given an unfinished quilt by the sister of a friend of mine. My friend’s wife was very upset because it was made by my friend’s mother and she has always wanted a handmade quilt. I am going to bring it out of storage and see if it can be repaired/finished…maybe we can tackle these together!

I am thinking that I will probably have to unpick the blocks and either reduce the size since some are damaged beyond repair or need to be almost completely redone. I thought about making totes with them and giving them to his sisters and his wife, but they would never use them (“too handmade” for them!).

It is lovely but I don’t envy your challenge!

6 Likes

While I don’t have a ton of experience with quilts, I THINK the only major issue with the one I sent Magpie is that it has been washed as a top. It will need a TON of pressing, and I have no idea how one would even approach that with a hex pattern. I wish you both good luck! I am still working away at the Victorian quilt, and have run into a few issues, but it’s always a labor of love.

8 Likes

Just had to show you the quilt I (long ago) inherited from my great-grandmother…

17 Likes

Oh, wow! I wonder if the two of them are about the same age…maybe from a popular pattern at the time! Beautiful!

4 Likes

Must have been, right? I mean, even the colors are so similar…

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, it’s the SAME QUILT!

6 Likes

If you want to restore /finish it in an authentic-to-the-original-pattern way, I’m happy to answer questions or send pictures with more detail.

6 Likes

I totally want to compare fabrics!

3 Likes

Will PM you some more pictures when I get a chance, including the back of the quilt and close-ups of binding, etc.

We have one in that pattern from my husband’s great grandmother. :green_heart:

4 Likes

Cool! I think the pattern must have been very popular. Is yours in a similar colorway, as well?

1 Like

Ours is more light blue, but I know she did a whole bunch of them in different color themes.

1 Like

I forgot about this whale fabric! Thanks for all the stuff & the washcloth, omgosh, it makes me so happy.

Kiss that miss @AntBee & thank her so much for the sweet note!

10 Likes

That’s a great piece of fabric!

1 Like

@cindy! Thank you so much for the plethora of treasure!

10 Likes

[imagine the squealing and dancing going on here]
Thank you so much, @photojenn!

11 Likes

Ahh!! You got some!!

1 Like

I did!
I was a responsible adult and checked the in-house yarns and discovered a ton of lace-weights for which I had zero good needles.

But my grabby hands are very happy! Hahha

6 Likes

Does anyone collect vintage knitting or crochet patterns? I may have some I would rehome. I’m looking through my hard copy patterns and coming to terms with my interest in making many of them.

2 Likes