Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Yeah, we’d like to get a couple of kitties, but not until we settle down…

2 Likes

We have two cats and I crochet catnip balls for donation to our church holiday fair. People come back to get new ones every year. I only had a little over a dozen this year and people were sad. I’ve made almost 3 dozen this year to get ahead of the fall rush of crafts. But I still have to stuff with some catnip and fleece scraps, yarn scraps, and/or stuffing…whatever I have around.

And we have two cats, and we foster kittens several times a year. Kitten season is coming up so hopefully we’ll get a mom cat in the next month or so. It’s been fairly warm for winter (until this weekend, -6 F this morning!) so there might be pregnant moms soon!

4 Likes

So…get cat… join church…
:grinning:

…learn to crochet. Buy yarn. I’m liking this!

6 Likes

Hmmm don’t I remember correctly that you already have yarn?

4 Likes

Only incidental yarn that I might someday use as mermaid hair or something…that doesn’t actually count, does it?

5 Likes

OK, you funky Scrap Masters, time to SPRING into action!

3 Likes

I recently upgraded my scrap storage. I sort by color, and have been using gallon plastic zip bags that slither and split and look junky.
I found laundry bags at the Dollar Tree, 3 for $1.25, that work great. Can’t buy fabric for that price (I know, because I’ve been looking for white sheer fabric to do something like this. Can’t even find sheer curtains at a thrift store.)

I can see the scrap colors, they stack nicely–the rough texture keeps them from slithering–and will hold up better than plastic. They also won’t trap moisture, but that’s not much of an issue here in the desert.

empty:

Full:

with little scrappy goodness below.

15 Likes

This is such a smart idea! I am also a gallon ziplock bag person. This is so much better.

2 Likes

My decent-sized quilting cotton scraps (not the batiks) went into this twin-sized quilt:

16 Likes

Thank you! I’m actually a quick-and-dirty quilter - I don’t pin anything on simple quilts, except when making the ‘sandwich.’ :scream:

3 Likes

Reminds me of my childhood quilt, made out of feedbags and dress scraps. Grandma hand stitched a nine patch quilt for every grandchild, mine had lots of yellow. Ther were nine of us. And one for every marriage. She died before my sister and I received one. My poor childhood quilt was worn to a frazzle before I lost it in a move.
A scrappy quilt is perfect for an everyday quilt. Use it untill it’s transparent!

8 Likes

That is so sweet - grandmas are precious people. I do hope my kids use their quilts until they wear out.

3 Likes

We recently rediscovered quilts my great grandmother made for my mother’s younger sibs-- the eldest three were given theirs long ago, but the other three were still folded up in the back of a closet, including the one for my Uncle Johnny (who died when he was a teenager) with an envelope labeled that it was only to be opened by his future wife.

9 Likes

So sad and so sweet. Forgotton quilts.
I have made quilts for the 6 grands, mine and my brothers. My neices boys (3) use theirs all the time. Travel, picnics, she has a screensaver of the three of them on their quilts. But she never has time to send it to me. I wonder why? :laughing:

6 Likes

I love the colors in your quilt. It looks so snuggly.

3 Likes

I love these special quilt stories and pics!

I made my hubby a space invaders quilt, but every time I get it out of the cupboard for him to use it, he says no put it away, it’s too precious! Funny man, I think he loves it too much :space_invader: :heart:

7 Likes

Super cute bunny ear treat bag, just takes a small amount of fabric. Totes adorbz!

1 Like

Whew, sorted all the fabric last night & pulled out every scrappy piece. I’m thinking this will be my next big project, what I work on while I’m thinking about other things to make. Sometimes those uninspired times, you just need to go to the machine & mindlessly sew, kwim?

And the new sewing machine is very fast with a sensitive pedal, I could use a little practice getting more comfortable with it.
This scrappy quilt block is more my speed than other sorts of piecing. I think it would be fun to use these enders called “mice” (lol) and make 2 quilts at once.
I’m also wild about this incredible rainbow qayg mat, just wow. Love that it uses irregular shapes with no trimming, sometimes the endless cutting to size stops me from even getting started.
And here is a really fabulous way to use up the smallest strips, selvage, threads & yarn ends along with fusible scraps, no expensive washaway stabilizer. Really fantastic results!
But of course this is my favourite method using paper tape, I scored some from the 2nd hand shop just for this. I have to find those rolls, they’re… somewhere, lol.

ETA quilted frankenbag tutorial, wow.

10 Likes

fantastic links…now can you give me 48 hours in a day to sew? :laughing:

7 Likes

I’ve got today & tomorrow, it’s fun so far!

7 Likes