Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

Love those patches, @AIMR! Linen is a perfect background.

2 Likes

I am failing at stash busting. I just bought a ton of fabric…but, hopefully it’s not too much extra as it’s to make a quilt like @Edel’s green quilt…for a wedding gift. So, at least there is a purpose to adding to stash.

6 Likes

@Lynx Yes, but just think ahead to all the fun you’ll have using up scraps after the quilt is finished! :wink:

3 Likes

I’ll be looking to quickly destash any leftover Ohio State fabric because it’s going to be a wedding quilt for an Ohio State fan and I am most definitely not one.

3 Likes

These patches are so cool! Perfect way to get out a bit of stress and just create something random. What do you do with these little pieces?

2 Likes

I am using the more neutral ones to make a boro bag…the ones with flowers are going on some pouches made of shibori fabrics.

5 Likes

I love shibori!! I’ve been so tempted to buy a book showing off the creative ways it’s put to use!

2 Likes

Ooh that sounds cool. That reminds me I think my mum probably still has the shibori napkins and tablecloth i made at school. They were made from calico squares but we never used them (I think I thought them too special to use!) I should dig them out and use them for something!

3 Likes

I loved the “Fabric Economies” book. I especially liked this tip:

It is hardly necessary to remind you that it is better to mend and patch with material that is not quite new.

This is something that I had never thought about, but it’s true that patching new fabric into worn material never looks right. This week I had to sew a patch into the lining of my winter coat, and I used a piece of an old pair of pajama pants; the result looks very natural. (The pyjamas themselves had long since been cut down and turned into boxer shorts, and the coat lining was rescued out of a previous coat.)

6 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, but it’s something I’d never thought of before.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you have seen them or not, but they actually have metal look, nylon zippers now! Along with rainbow etc. lol.

3 Likes

I moved both craft rooms around, switching them so the bigger room has all the sewing things. I might actually have a good fabric storage solution worked out. Maybe I’ll be able to show it off soon. In the meantime, I am planning to start that Economy Quilt. I can’t stop thinking about it!

4 Likes

I found a huge bag of cut up fleece pieces and also thought about that quilt…it would be a good project to just keep going and going…

Hey…I meant to ask…once the little bags are sewn, how are they put together nearly? Hand sewn together?

2 Likes

The original description was a little fuzzy on that; the author said she used a sewing machine because it was quicker, but not how she did it.

I think I’d start by trying overlapping them slightly and zig-zagging over the join.

2 Likes

I think she was talking about making the sacks using her sewing machine…I was going to cut a bunch of fabric scraps to 6x3 and sew up three sides and put them next to my chair…she talked about cutting up snips of fabric for fill, but using a rotary cutter was my idea since that is what I do with the fleece scraps I make…

I would probably sew the four side using a ladder stitch or something…yeah, she mentioned that no backing was needed because both sides would be fabric and finished…maybe a nice whip stitch?

I just see this as a more relaxing way to cut down my scraps and unwanted fat quarters…and clothes…

1 Like

Before I forget:

anyone have any ideas on what to do with scarves? My mom had quite a collection of silk scarves…I am not interested in making clothes from them or wearing them as scarves…

2 Likes

When 2 sacks are stuffed, I will likely sew the open edges together. So like fold in the seam allowance of one and insert the seam allowance of another in that opening, then running stitch them both closed flat together. Make sense?

1 Like

I have a beautiful vintage scarf I’m thinking of using for a hat lining. The silk is kinder to my curly hair than anything else. Pressed to fusible interfacing they make nice linings for small clutches as well.

1 Like

I can see two at a time but how will you sew together the twos? I guess we are going to have to wing it…it will be a fun thing to learn together…

Linings…now that is a good idea! I am also going to see about turning some of them into head wraps…I like the boho look…

1 Like

Whip stitch, either sloppy like TM squares, zig zag on machine, a combo of the two?