Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

I am overthinking this…ha ha I think no matter what, it will be a nice way to use up scraps and be colorful and fun and practical!

1 Like

Is that possible, to overthink this sort of thing? I’m not sure it is. … …
I am thinking it would be easiest to sew the sacks together by hand in long rows, then machine zig zag the strips of those. I guess we’ll see!

1 Like

This thread is near and dear to my heart. I have big scraps, medium scraps, little scraps and scrappy scraps, plus small tubs full of the fabric threads pulled from ripping fabric. I love being able to pull just a scrap of a needed color sometimes. And then…

I make fabric collages, scrappy hearts, and even cat toys. I know you all have seen some of these before, but here we go…

Most of these items are small 8 x 8 or smaller, but the tree is a hanging quilt about 18 x 24" called “roots hold me close”

Heart%20pillow scrappy%20hearts6 ScrappyBin

Heart%20Quilt%20Black%201 Heart%20Quilt%20Black%202 Heart%20Quilt%20Navy Quilt%20square%20Moon%20Rise%204-19 Quilt%20Square%20Star%20Shine2%204-19 Quilt%20square%20Sun%20Rise%204-19 Quilt%20square%20waterfall%204-19

21 Likes

OH, forgot the cat toys.

I did not make this wreath but purchased it at a craft fair. If you want a stash buster, this looks to be the thing!
I included pictures of the back. It looks to be a standard wreath form, three rings and the fabric strips just loop tied over the rings…and stuffed together tightly. I can’t imagine the final ties on this thing. It is gorgeous and hanging on my front door. I know it will fade in the sun, so I may hang somewhere else when the sun gets stronger this spring. But it is awesome.

Wreath%20back%201 Wreath%20back%202

15 Likes

I love your scrappy work, @marionberries!! Thanks for sharing! I love the cat toys!! I think they would also make great wands for little girls…hmmm…

3 Likes

scrap overload! All of your pieces are so lovely…I love how you use threads in your work as well…you literally have created scrappy fabric masterboards to use as backgrounds…just lovely and inspiring!

2 Likes

Your textile art is amazing, as is your collection of scraps. How do you organise them, if at all?
I’m doing an art & design textiles course at the moment and would love to have access to a scrap hoard resource like that :grin::grin:
I love all the pieces you posted, fantastic work :+1::smiley:

2 Likes

I love it ALL!

1 Like

Donate the scarves to a preschool! Any teacher would be thrilled, the kids absolutely love to dance with them-they make such beautiful movements!

I am drooling all over my keyboard! Two of my favorite things: quilting and rainbows! It’s all so beautiful!

Oh, Carol! I had no idea! I love all those an awful lot.
:heart:
And I love your Lettuce name. :smiley:

2 Likes

Organize??? Ok about twice a year I try to bring order to the chaos…ant it actually works for a week or two…if I am on vacation or out of the country. Smaller pieces are on shelves by color, boxes of fat quarters, trays of quilt squares and little pieces, bin of rediculously small pieces. Whew. I try to organize by color. Cuts down on the search time.

9 Likes

Your fabric collages are pure awesomeness.

4 Likes

The tree one is glorious! You should do a post for it! :wink:

2 Likes

@marionberries - Wow that’s an inspiring pile of scraps. And your comment about organization strategies working for a week or two if you’re out of the country made me laugh.

2 Likes

I lived in Oregon for 25 years amongst the rampant, evil, yummy blackberries. They used to seem to grow half-way across the driveway in one day during the summer. We had a patch of much tamer marionberries. They are sweeter, smaller, and don’t hold well once picked, so eating them off the bush seemed just the thing. I’ve always loved the connection to my name (even though I married into the name, and then kept it when I divorced, and still kept it when I remarried. I mean, it’s a great name!)

7 Likes

I’m a little late to this party @AIMR , but I like the look of sheer fabrics along the bottom edge of shirts, and have used old scarves for that. Also have made doll skirts or petticoats out of them.

I also sometimes shorten them and use the as pony-tail tie-ons. Or headbands.

How about tying them onto a purse? Or using as a belt?

I’ve also made poufs or ribbon-rose type flowers to decorate wreaths.

3 Likes

I like all of these ideas!

Along with my friend @magpie, we have decided we need to make more clothing for ourselves in a style we both like, which is sort of boho, homeless lady…ha ha ha…artsty…I think I will try to incorporate some of the scarves…many are from my mom who collected them from Japan, so many are silk and hand hemmed…I hate to cut them up, but they have been in a dresser drawer for years…

Better to use them or give them to others who will…

6 Likes

Does anyone want a little box of silk scraps? A whole bunch of Triangles cut from neckties, to be more specific? (A word of warning: There are clowns in there. Very subtle ones, but still clowns). „Manly“ shades, mostly blue green, I guess this was going to be a quilt for her partner. Not something I’m willing to tackle.

The box just said “neckties” and then had a triangle drawn on it, and because it was with the boxes of silk my mom had I assumed this would mean plain white silk neckties to be painted. I was wrong. Sadly I was about to use one to make a Gryffindor tie. For my 8yo’s party tomorrow at school. I guess I’ll be doing some sewing very early tomorrow. gotta cut and paint some fabric first though… And make a salad.

4 Likes

I sure do not need more scraps but I would LOVE the clowns! Wanna swap me an ATC for those?

3 Likes