Vintage button Christmas trees

I got lucky at a yard sale last summer and picked up a huge stash of vintage buttons. I used some them to make Christmas trees for @endymion in the Santa’s Sack swap. They took wayyyyyy longer to make than I had anticipated, but I am pleased with the results. These are endymion’s photos because they are much better than mine. :slightly_smiling_face:

33 Likes

These are super cute and colorful! It looks like you put a lot of work into the triangular tree bases. How did you make that part?

1 Like

These little trees are SO charming! I’ve set up a special spot for them right on our entertainment center (which is our mantle, since we have no fireplace.)

I know they must have taken forever. I made a button hoop a while back and was shocked how long it took, so I know these were labor-intensive.
Thanks again, so much! I love them!

3 Likes

There is probably a better way to make the triangular bases, but here is what i did:

1. Cut a triangle from heavy cardboard.
  2. Glue a kebab spear trunk onto the back of the cardboard.
  3. Glue felt triangles of the same size to the front and back of the cardboard.
  4. Sew buttons to cotton fabric. Cut fabric into a triangle with extra seam allowance.
  5. Lay cotton piece on the front of the triangle. Use an overcast stitch to attach it to the tree, making to put the stitch through the felt on the back side. Make sure the overcast stitch is dense enough to hide the rough fabric edge.
6 Likes

These are so cool!!

I adore these!!! I need to use my extensive button collection to do something like this. Dunno if that would be ok?? These are SO adorable. Especially all standing together. Cute as a button! :laughing:

5 Likes

These are delightful! Buttons AND trees? C’MON! There’s not much better. I love the vintage thread spools as the “trunks” too!

1 Like

These are like little pieces of Christmas magic! They are so pretty and creatively laid out. They’re absolutely amazing! What treasures.

1 Like

adorable! and thank you for sewing on the buttons instead of gluing them!

1 Like

so original. And it can be used again !

1 Like

I love these!!

1 Like

These are so darn cute! I love them! And thanks for the mini- tutorial as well!!!

1 Like

How fun!

1 Like

These are so cute!

1 Like

I love the bright colors and their whimsy-ness. Good idea for putting them on spools too.

2 Likes

these make my button loving heart skip a beat! so cute!! Love these!

1 Like

Congratulations! Your festive button trees are a featured project. Thank you for sharing such a festive and creative project.

3 Likes

Well deserved! I totally ran out and found felt and dowels to steal this idea myself! (Gotta get the socks made first, though!)

1 Like

Oh look at the little forest!!
So very cute

1 Like