Violently Violet Wristwarmers

In my quest to become proficient enough with knitting to knit a sweater, I made a pair of wrist warmers/fingerless gloves for myself.

I used the pattern Friends and some handspun, hand-dyed BFL wool.

The ends still need weaving in, but I’m calling them done (it’ll only take a few minutes once I feel like sitting down and doing it, anyway). Skills acquired: purling the right way, M1 increases, picking up stitches, ssk and k2tog decreases, binding off in pattern, casting on to DPNs, sequestered stitches.

Mistakes were made. I have a tendency to twist my purl stitches, but I think I’ve broken that habit. And the first set of M1 increases got twisted, leaving a pair of weird, but stable, holes. Other than that, super happy with these cute (and easy!) wrist warmers.

19 Likes

They came out beautifully!

1 Like

Thank you! My old pair was wearing very thin (actual holes😢), so I’m thrilled to have some warm mitts for when the weather turns.

3 Likes

They look great!

1 Like

They came out great, and I love the yarn. Beautiful.

1 Like

Oooh, very pretty! I did have a laugh about you posting pics before weaving the ends in. I so HATE weaving the ends in on all my yarn projects!

1 Like

Thank you!

I honestly don’t mind dealing with the ends so much with knitting, but despise doing it with crochet. Either way, I always leave it until it must be done or I feel like doing it. It’s also why I avoid all color work and adore multicolored yarns.

There is one problem with making anything cute…my DS2 decides he needs some, too. :joy: I have 2 oz. of Rambouillet handspun from a different breed study that I’ll use for his - it’s the softest wool I’ve ever spun. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh, I like the colour!

Psst: there is no ”right” way, as long as you get the result you want.

I twisted my purls when I started learning knitting again, and later invented a way to purl that didn’t twist them.

You could check out portugese knitting and combination knitting if you want to see more ways to handle the purls, that might make more sense to you.

Portugese knitting is on my mental to try list. Looks interesting!

3 Likes

They look fantastic! Love the colors.

1 Like

I like the way you think! I’ll have to check out Portuguese knitting - I have never heard of it before.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This are pretty adorable! I love the colors and they look like they’ll be just the thing when the weather turns cold. I can’t even imagine even being in a room with anything warmers today! :thermometer: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I adore the vibrant shades of purple.

2 Likes

Pretty yarn! I really do like the fingerless mittens!

1 Like

Thank you!

Gorgeous! Sounds like you’ve learned all of the stitches you’d need for a top down sweater! My first knit sweater was Tin Can Knits Flax pattern. It was a great one to start with.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I actually have that one in my favorites on Ravelry. I love that strip of garter stitch down the sleeves. I’m going to give Jane Richmond’s Classic Raglan Pullover a shot. It has some easy neck shaping, but looks pretty straightforward for a first sweater.

You are rocking the knitting!!! These came out fantastic!!

1 Like

Thank you!