Virginia's Kanzashi Set

A friend asked me to make some hair accessories for her Japanese garden themed wedding, and I was happy to do so. She wanted a combination of spider lilies and wisteria. Her wedding colors are silver and white, and originally she wanted the wisteria to be white as well but I did them in purple+white first and she liked the pop of color better so we kept the purple.

The spider lilies are resin with several coats of silver-white powder pigment and a finish coat of UV resin. The leaves are wire frames with silk and thread detail, and the wisteria are silk on a base of nylon cord with faux pearl details.

Since the lilies required very long curved stamens, I made them myself using silver wire, and a mixture of white PVA glue and corn starch. Once the glue/starch mixture dries it can be dyed, or painted. I covered these with the silver-white powder pigment I used on the flower petals.

Virginia has fine hair, and requested this piece to be mounted on a clip, so after I wrapped the wire with thread I used gorilla glue to affix it to a metal hair clip that I lightly sanded to aid with adhesion.

Her wedding is also fall themed, so I created some accompanying single hair pins and a lapel pin with flowers that are autumn oriented - chrysanthemums and a maple leaf.

I’m not sure when I’ll be able to mail these out, or if the post office is accepting international mail at the moment, but I’ll call them tomorrow to find out. :3 I need to mail my 'merican taxes out anyway.

19 Likes

These are so beautiful! Really masterfully done!!!

2 Likes

So pretty! I love the wisteria.

2 Likes

So delicate and lovely! I love the long, drapey strands!

2 Likes

Gorgeous! So delicate and lovely, really really beautiful.

2 Likes

They are so delicate looking and beautiful’

3 Likes

Oh wow! Beautiful!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

They are gorgeous… I’m interested to know how you made the single flower ones, both in terms of fold pattern and fabric. Anytime I’ve made these, I’ve used regular cotton and could never get as many petals as these. They are so delicate and pretty

1 Like

I want to see how it’s done too, the results are fascinating and I’ll bet the process is too. There looks to be video here, I’m going to check it out later on!

1 Like

@Sarnag, a warm welcome to Lettuce Craft!

@appledainty, you made another beautiful hair piece!
I imagine it on dark hair, looking stunning.

1 Like

I use silk habotai (or habutae) that I get from silkribbon.com and cut into squares. It’s very thin. I use starch to make it hold sharper folds. I learned the two basic kanzashi folds from this website: http://www.vivcore.com/kanzashicore/kanzashi_tutorial1.html - the single pins are all made from pointed petal fold.

2 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate that. Your work is amazing.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning. So beautifully done.

1 Like

Oh, these are stunning! The pop of purple really is magnificent!

1 Like

Very pretty! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats! Your Kanzashi Set is one of this week’s featured projects! Yahoo!

2 Likes

Very pretty!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like