Wet felted boots

So this was my first and might be the last time I wet felt boots, but it was a fun if uncomfortable challenge. These were made to resemble Rey‘s boots (from Star Wars). I made them sometime last year for a comic con.

I made a foot last by making a duct tape version of the tween’s foot.

I used a mesh bag, bubble wrap, and soapy water to wet felt essentially a stocking around a plastic template that I created. At this stage I was like “okay, this feels and looks weird.”

Then it was time to stick the foot last inside the felted “stocking” and agitate the fibers by hand with warm water. It felt awful. :laughing:

And it took forever. I wasn’t positive the whole ordeal was going to work until they got to this stage.

Once I was happy with them and determined that they fit, I trimmed them.

And added the leather and laces.

Phew. I cannot imagine wet felting boots often. My poor fingers but I was pretty satisfied with my first attempt.

27 Likes

Wow! I can’t imagine how your poor hands must feel, what a labour of love (I’m sure you were telling yourself that half way through the endless agitation) The boots turned out fabulous!

2 Likes

It made me appreciate people who do wet felting. That’s some hard work. Or at least it was for me. :wink:

1 Like

I’d say that is a pretty fantastic “first attempt” you totally aimed high as the crafty people tend to do :sweat_smile: I’ve always wanted to try a big wet felting project but I don’t think my hands could take it.

3 Likes

Wet felting is hard work…you did great!
The end result was totally worth it :smiley:

1 Like

Great job!! I don’t know wet felters figure out how big they need to start to get it to shrink down to the right size and clearly you were right on target :wink:

2 Likes

They look great even if it was exhausting, you should be proud.

1 Like

Whoa! This is epic.

1 Like

WOW! These and YOU are amazing!

2 Likes

I’ve thought of this all day after reading this early this morning. I cant say enough positive things about your work–beautiful!!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone!! :heart::heart::heart:

I still don’t know. The foot lasts that I made helped ensure it didn’t get too small at least, but that was part of the reason why I wasn’t sure it was going to work. :smiley:

2 Likes

You’re right – it had some dodgy stages there halfway through, but whoa baby, they came out awesome!

1 Like

Well done!! They look fantastic.
I love the feeling of wet wool under my hands. Some people use hand held sanders (slightly modified to hold bubble wrap or another textured surface instead of sand paper) to speed the first step of the process up. I can’t imaging skipping that step, because I love the feeling of wool under my hands. I did get a mechanical roller/tumbler to do the last steps tho, because felting is hard work, and I like to do the part I like and let the machine do the work I don’t! So those are always options if you ever want to felt again!

3 Likes

Wow, what an amazing project. So the duct tape lasts are permanently part of the boots? Or did you remove them somehow?

1 Like

Ooohhh…okay, so maybe not my last wet felting attempt after all. It was a total sensory thing for me. Like nails on chalkboard. I could deal with it for a bit but it built up and I wanted to crawl out of my skin.

The duct tape lasts are just a tool to help shape and size the boots. Shoemakers use them and you can buy plastic or wood versions. I just made my own. The downside is they were a one time thing because I wasn’t great about waterproofing them.

So after creating essentially a felt stocking, I put the duct tape last inside and agitated the felt more. As the wool shrunk up, the foot last provided the shape and prevented me from making the booties too small. Not shown is the other foot last. I made 2, one for the L foot and one for the R foot.

3 Likes

Oh, you did not just make a pair of boots your self! You didn’t! I can’t even believe it, it’s too amazing :star_struck:

1 Like

Haha! Thanks. Also happy :birthday: day!

These are great! Do you have any photos/details of the leather reinforcements & how you applied them? Is there anything on the bottom? Thinking these would be good inspiration for one of my upcoming garb sets! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t. I used contact cement to fix the leather to the wool and then sewed for extra reinforcement on the leather loops for the straps and the strip that goes up the heel. The contact cement worked really really well. And for the soles, I just cement glued some non-slip slipper material to the heel and toe area.

That said I would have gone with something like these soles if there had been time enough to allow for shipping. If I make another pair, I’m definitely getting actual soles. :smiley:

1 Like

These are so amazing! I adore them. I’ve wanted to make a pair of felted booties for myself in the past, but wasn’t sure how to go about sizing without just putting them on my feet while felting :rofl:

You did an amazing job!! I hope to see more felted projects from you soon :slight_smile:

1 Like