Whale at Sunset

Today’s theme at the library Art Studio program was collage. There were various artists featured; unfortunately I can’t remember their names…

We were provided with various prepared papers from previous programs, some cardstock, as well as an Atlas that has been taken out of circulation because it’s outdated.

I’m pretty happy with what I came up with :slight_smile:

The sun and whale are cardstock, the belly of the whale and the bottom of the page came from the atlas, and the rest is ripped up prepared papers.

28 Likes

Love!

1 Like

Love the book page whale belly! Makes me think of Moby Dick, but it is clearly an orca…
Great colors, too!

1 Like

I was going for a humpback whale like in the picture below, but i forgot the underside of one of the flippers should have been white… so it ended up looking more like an orca lol

2 Likes

Cool! I wonder what kind of whale Moby was. A right whale?

1 Like

I am LOVING this one, @LindyBlues! The text on the belly of the whale is just such a cool detail. And I feel like you made great choices, as far as which parts were solid colors vs mixed.

2 Likes

The colors are so great and I think it definitely looks like a humpback and not an orca. Beautiful work!

1 Like

Moby was a sperm whale. Sperm whales have teeth and were valued by whalers for the large amount of oil found in their heads. Right whales are baleen whales and were valued by whalers because of their relative docility and the high blubber content that led them to float on the surface once killed (hence the “right” type of whale). Probably more info that you need, but I was a whale obsessed kid :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Thank you! I love obsessed people, you can learn so much from them!

2 Likes

I really like how it turned out - very evocative, as if she’s paying homage to the setting sun!

2 Likes

This is fantastic!!!

1 Like

This is really cool. The colors of the sunset are so vibrant and pretty. Using text for the white worked out beautifully.

2 Likes

You created a beautiful scene in paper scraps!!

2 Likes

You’ve made this whale look joyful with your paper choices and placements. Love that!

2 Likes

I love how this turned out! Beautiful!!!

2 Likes

I love how you transitioned the colors from the water to the sunset. It is very beautiful. You should frame this. And the text on the belly is just the right touch. It’s gorgeous!

2 Likes

This looks so good! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I really enjoyed making this :heart:

@saranethx I’ve never read Moby Dick, but I believe it was specifically a white sperm whale, right? And I think at the time people thought it was a fictional animal, but they do exist, although they are rare. Can you confirm if I have my facts right?

@gozer Perhaps I might frame it :slight_smile: I was thinking of using it as inspiration to create a similar image with different types of media. I also realy enjoyed using the text on the belly of the whale. I want to do more images using just a tad of text here and there. It’s great fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great movement in this piece! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yes, Moby Dick was a white sperm whale and white sperm whales do exist.They are rare because the white color is due to genetic anomaly (albinism).

2 Likes