What are you knitting?

Let’s share what’s on our needles, shall we?

I am currently knitting myself a double thick hat (after falling in love with the one I knit for my brother) and some baby animal pouches.

https://www.wires.org.au/wildlife-info/wildlife-factsheets/making-possum-pouches

“When young wombats, wallabies, kangaroos, bandicoots, gliders or possums come into care they need to be kept warm and quiet. WIRES carers are always in need of suitable pouches.”

What’s happening in Australia is devastating. So I decided to bust out my wool scraps and hopefully my mom and sister will be able to join me in knitting those poor babies something cozy.

10 Likes

What a wonderful way to send some love to Australia :blue_heart: I’m between knitting projects atm, but I’m going to have a look at what I can do too.

4 Likes

I’m currently knitting a scarf in Homespun. I don’t actually enjoy working with Homespun, but a very good friend lost his mom last fall, and he asked me to go through her yarn stash and find some I wanted. It turned out that there wasn’t anything special enough to add to a stash I was already trying desperately to thin out, but I took home 3 skeins of Homespun to make him a scarf, and also brought home a couple of incomplete baby blankets and the yarn to finish them, so that he can stash them away so his nieces can have grandma baby blankets for their possible future children.

So yeah. Tldr making one of my best friends a scarf out of his dead mother’s stash.

11 Likes

That is such a thoughtful way to support him.

3 Likes

Thanks. I also tried to arrange to donate knitted items to his mom’s church for the holidays, but they declined. shrug

Meanwhile, I also have his mother’s wedding dress. He and his brother have agreed they would like me to make dressup clothes for the nieces out of it. First things first will be to see exactly how washable I can make the parts…

3 Likes

@bananaleg I just suggested this to our guild tonight for charity knitting.

3 Likes

That is amazing what you’re doing for your friend. I know someday the nieces will appreciate what you’re doing for them, as well. I agree about working with Homespun. Some of the colors are soooo pretty, but usually hardly worth the headache.

3 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

Using some of my stash to make a dishcloth!

7 Likes

Great colors!

3 Likes

Jumping onto this thread as a newbie knitter - I need all the support I can get! :laughing:

Here’s my first project using DPNs. Feeling clunky in my hands but I think it’s getting better.

6 Likes

Looks good!

2 Likes

Working on a baby blanket. First half is white, second half will be rainbow.

7 Likes

Oooh! I love the idea of it, can’t wait to see it all done up.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the blanket…rainbow and white will be lovely!

@lothruin…it seems that everyone calls the crafty friend when there is a death in the family…I have yarn and fabrics and have made several things for family members. It is a wonderful gesture but sometimes you have to use some pretty awful supplies.

I ended up throwing most of the acrylics out of the stashes I get…a lot of the yarns with wool in them have actually sort of felled over the years and the acrylics are the old scratchy ones. Sad, because it makes me really want to use up my stash way ahead of my demise.

5 Likes

I finished my first set of mitts!

I saw improvement from the first to second mitt, and I hate DPNs less than I did to start with haha. It’s not so bad. Now what?! lol Maybe cables…

9 Likes

Great job! They look very neat and even…and you even did a beautiful thumb gusset…you are a natural!

4 Likes

Thank you :blush: There is definitely some uneven stitches where I was switching from one needle to the next, but I think it’ll get better with practice. And I actually cut and pulled out some stitches from my bind off on my first mitt when I decided it was too tight, and fixed that bit. :crossed_fingers: that I didn’t miss any loose stitches.

3 Likes

They’re beautiful! :heart_eyes: I vote for cables next.

2 Likes

Oh, for sure. Sometimes, if I can just feel like my tendon is going to be weird, or if it’s going to be a longer project (like a sleeve), I stagger my stitches. I’ll do a few rounds like normal. Then one round where I knit every stitch on the needle AND the first stitch on the next needle all the way around. Then a couple rounds straight.

It sounds like it might take a bunch of extra time, but I don’t find that it really makes that big of a difference – I’m already taking the time to switch needles, so I’m not really disrupting anything.

4 Likes