What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

My son really likes grilled cheese sandwiches, so we have those every-or-every-other week. Sourdough bread and extra sharp white cheddar. I melt the butter then baste it on the bread so itā€™s nice and even then when the sandwich is on the cast-iron skillet, I cover it with a large lid for a pot so it melts the cheese pretty quick. Then we use Amyā€™s Chunky Tomato Bisque for the soup.

2 Likes

I will definitely be trying this. My son loves gnocchi! He calls it Pinocchi.

4 Likes

a friend just mentioned to me she eats peanut butter on pancakes and that sounded so good so thatā€™s what I had for dinner last night.

3 Likes

One of my dadā€™s favorites is sliced smoked sausage cooked either stove top or in the oven with rough chopped onion and potatoes (or bell peppers if cutting out starches). Just needs a little salt and pepper then serve with ketsup or favorite bbq sauce. Takes < 30 mins.

3 Likes

I do that too!!! My dh and kids like applesauce on pancakes, but bleh, that does not look appealing. I also put peanut butter on french toast.

My dad likes peanut butter on top of grilled cheese.

1 Like

This week we did:

Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice with White Sauce - a household fave.

Beef Tomato Mac Soup - I did it in the crockpot to make it a little quicker.

Chicken Cheese Steak Sliders and fries - used leftover chicken from halal cart-style chx and rice.

Lentil tacos - I will do these in the crock pot too sometimes.

4 Likes

mmm I see a few things that I think we would like! I have had good luck with meals that everyone has posted hereā€¦it helps me focus and not get overwhelmed since cooking is not my strengthā€¦

I printed out Chicken cheese steak sliders and the beef tomato mac soupā€¦thanks!

3 Likes

I made the cheeseburger gnocchi last night for dinnerā€¦when I went to put away the leftovers, there were none! My hubby had three helpings and finished it off! Thanks for this recipeā€¦it will be part of our regular rotation! It was really easy and yummyā€¦

My Harris Teeter has fresh gnocchi so I bought a couple of packs and froze them.

4 Likes

Yay! Iā€™m so glad yā€™all enjoyed it!!

2 Likes

I have a kind of ridiculous one, which I call lentil helper (since it tastes like Hamburger Helper to me). It doesnā€™t sound good but it has become a favorite cheap comfort food of mine. Itā€™s lentils and instant ramen cooked together, the ramen seasoning (or any other sauce or seasoning that sounds good), and a big dollop of plain yogurt, all mixed together. The Broke College Student ways die hard. :smile:

Spaghetti squash tossed with pesto, feta and kalamata olives is a really good one that may provide a 2nd meal, if itā€™s a big enough squash.

Another regular for me is the burrito bowl. Itā€™s usually satisfying without needing to add protein beyond the beans.

I keep a bag of turkey meatballs or meatless meatballs in the freezer to toss in with random stuff that needs some tasty protein. Mainly when I make rice noodles with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.

3 Likes

It all sounds yummy! I like ramen with kimchiā€¦sometimes I toss in some chicken or porkā€¦recently I came across a site for fast Japanese mealsā€¦my mom would make us soba noodles with dipping sauce and also a noodle saladā€¦I forget about thoseā€¦

I have some left over hamburgerā€¦I think I will make them into meatballs and freeze themā€¦can always make a favorite of my husbandsā€¦meatballs in grape jelly and cocktail sauceā€¦

1 Like

Your lentils and yogurt reminded me of one of my favorite middle eastern recipes. I eat mine without the onions.

Middle eastern rice dishes are often served with yogurt.

2 Likes

mmm I are yellow lentils and rice for lunchā€¦

Lentils are really high in nutrition and delicious!

1 Like

Hey guys, I hope you donā€™t mind me jumping in here- this has been a big hit in our house and I live with a primarily carnivore. It is vegetarian and can be vegan easily:
Portobello mushroom stew
Iā€™ve made it in the instant pot and itā€™s fairly quick and easy especially if youā€™ve pre-cut any vegetables ahead of time.

5 Likes

Mmmmā€¦thatā€™s my kind of stew and it SO helps that your carnivore approved. I will give it a shot!

1 Like

I highly recommend it. I usually make the Carnivoreā€™s work lunch a dish of whatever was dinner the night before and the day after I made this he called on the way home from work asking what was for dinner and when I started to say I had some ideas but hadnā€™t started anything yet he actually asked to have it again- so dinner, lunch the next day, dinner that same day- which is crazypants. Now, granted, we love mushrooms so that helped.
If you have some nice rolls to go along-side it they dip nicely and add a little something tactile to dinner time.

3 Likes

I feel like pasta and stir fries are pretty standard go-tos for a lot of people during the week haha, probably cuz they go so quick.

If youā€™re into Thai food at all, you should pick up some Thai curry paste. You can get a big container for only a few bucks at most Asian grocers.
They go really fast since all you do is boil coconut milk with the paste, then throw in some chopped veggies and chicken or whatever you want in, and like 20 min later itā€™s finished :ok_hand: (most call for fish sauce to get added at the end but you could probably skip it if you donā€™t want it)

7 Likes

I love Thai foodā€¦I am not a big pasta eater, but I always have rice and veggies aroundā€¦I just need to write some things down because I tend to forget all the simple ideasā€¦I started posting them on my fridge and then throwing out any recipes I printed that did not work for meā€¦I think a lot of problems are with boredom or just not having the right ingredientsā€¦if one is not a cook, like me, I canā€™t just make stuff upā€¦and WELCOME!!!

3 Likes

Thai food is the BEST! I love that it can be creamy without dairy, coconut milk for the win!

2 Likes

We are making homemade pizza for dinner tonight since we ate Thai on Tuesday and had leftovers yesterday. We buy flatbread and other crusts, including cauliflower crusts and keep them in the freezer. Depending on what we have on hand, we pick a crust, add cheese, sometimes pizza sauce, and then toppings. Tonight, it is clam and mushroom white pizza on focaccia crust. Iā€™ll make a small salad and call it done!

4 Likes