What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

Actually, sounds simple and nutritious…we often do rice with veggies when we don’t feel like trying anything new…we have cooked chicken in the freezer that takes nothing to heat up if we want…sometimes we add scrambled eggs to make a sort of fried rice dish…

Boring is our go-to for dinner many nights…

1 Like

nope not boring. I like simple dinners like these, though I will just eat my precooked chicken cold. I dislike reheated meat. it tastes weird - unless it’s in a casserole or sauce.

2 Likes

Anybody got any more suggestions? I am making hamburger gnocci as recommended by @Mindboggld but other than that, I have nothing…I am sort of tired of chicken and anything stir fried…

2 Likes

I’ve been slacking in the cooking department lately but I have plans to remedy that soon :slight_smile:
After browsing my books, I need to pick up ingredients for a sweet potato red curry, ham (i have leftover ham…)tetrazzini and sausage lentil soup.

1 Like

Some favorites I haven’t made in years because nobody else here will eat them:

Cook some tortellini. Add frozen veg for the last minute of your cook time, or cut up fresh while you’re boiling it. Drain, add a splash of your favorite oil, top with cubed cheese (mmm, melty!) & either a sauce of choice or herby seasoning, eat warm, yum!

Spinach & cheese bake, not quite my recipe, but similar:

And the other one we had all the time when I was growing up was a can or two of lentil soup (we did progresso, but there are lots of options) with a package of frozen spinach in.

…Oh look, it’s lunchtime!

3 Likes

My son really likes grilled cheese sandwiches, so we have those every-or-every-other week. Sourdough bread and extra sharp white cheddar. I melt the butter then baste it on the bread so it’s nice and even then when the sandwich is on the cast-iron skillet, I cover it with a large lid for a pot so it melts the cheese pretty quick. Then we use Amy’s Chunky Tomato Bisque for the soup.

2 Likes

I will definitely be trying this. My son loves gnocchi! He calls it Pinocchi.

4 Likes

a friend just mentioned to me she eats peanut butter on pancakes and that sounded so good so that’s what I had for dinner last night.

3 Likes

One of my dad’s favorites is sliced smoked sausage cooked either stove top or in the oven with rough chopped onion and potatoes (or bell peppers if cutting out starches). Just needs a little salt and pepper then serve with ketsup or favorite bbq sauce. Takes < 30 mins.

3 Likes

I do that too!!! My dh and kids like applesauce on pancakes, but bleh, that does not look appealing. I also put peanut butter on french toast.

My dad likes peanut butter on top of grilled cheese.

1 Like

This week we did:

Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice with White Sauce - a household fave.

Beef Tomato Mac Soup - I did it in the crockpot to make it a little quicker.

Chicken Cheese Steak Sliders and fries - used leftover chicken from halal cart-style chx and rice.

Lentil tacos - I will do these in the crock pot too sometimes.

4 Likes

mmm I see a few things that I think we would like! I have had good luck with meals that everyone has posted here…it helps me focus and not get overwhelmed since cooking is not my strength…

I printed out Chicken cheese steak sliders and the beef tomato mac soup…thanks!

3 Likes

I made the cheeseburger gnocchi last night for dinner…when I went to put away the leftovers, there were none! My hubby had three helpings and finished it off! Thanks for this recipe…it will be part of our regular rotation! It was really easy and yummy…

My Harris Teeter has fresh gnocchi so I bought a couple of packs and froze them.

4 Likes

Yay! I’m so glad y’all enjoyed it!!

2 Likes

I have a kind of ridiculous one, which I call lentil helper (since it tastes like Hamburger Helper to me). It doesn’t sound good but it has become a favorite cheap comfort food of mine. It’s lentils and instant ramen cooked together, the ramen seasoning (or any other sauce or seasoning that sounds good), and a big dollop of plain yogurt, all mixed together. The Broke College Student ways die hard. :smile:

Spaghetti squash tossed with pesto, feta and kalamata olives is a really good one that may provide a 2nd meal, if it’s a big enough squash.

Another regular for me is the burrito bowl. It’s usually satisfying without needing to add protein beyond the beans.

I keep a bag of turkey meatballs or meatless meatballs in the freezer to toss in with random stuff that needs some tasty protein. Mainly when I make rice noodles with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.

3 Likes

It all sounds yummy! I like ramen with kimchi…sometimes I toss in some chicken or pork…recently I came across a site for fast Japanese meals…my mom would make us soba noodles with dipping sauce and also a noodle salad…I forget about those…

I have some left over hamburger…I think I will make them into meatballs and freeze them…can always make a favorite of my husbands…meatballs in grape jelly and cocktail sauce…

1 Like

Your lentils and yogurt reminded me of one of my favorite middle eastern recipes. I eat mine without the onions.

Middle eastern rice dishes are often served with yogurt.

2 Likes

mmm I are yellow lentils and rice for lunch…

Lentils are really high in nutrition and delicious!

1 Like

Hey guys, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here- this has been a big hit in our house and I live with a primarily carnivore. It is vegetarian and can be vegan easily:
Portobello mushroom stew
I’ve made it in the instant pot and it’s fairly quick and easy especially if you’ve pre-cut any vegetables ahead of time.

5 Likes

Mmmm…that’s my kind of stew and it SO helps that your carnivore approved. I will give it a shot!

1 Like