What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

mmm that sounds so good…I think I am going to get a notebook and write down these ideas and pin them on the fridge…

4 Likes

This fammunity never fails to have the best meal prep ideas, recipes, leftover tips, and more. It feels like we are all sitting around a table, chatting and sharing.

One of my go-to recipes is chili. Brown/drain some ground beef. Add canned tomato sauce, leftover pasta sauce, stewed tomatoes, whatever red stuff you have; plus one or two small cans of diced tomatoes with chiles. Add kidney beans (or again, whatever kind you prefer or have on hand). Toss in chopped onion, lots of water, rice, anything else that you like. We don’t use chili spices or packets (DH - issues) so the only hotness is from the small cans. This “recipe” doesn’t use set amounts and is easily varied to taste.

3 Likes

One of our quick meals is curries. We have butter chicken and korma curry paste in the pantry (both mild Indian curry). Combine that with some extras (cream, tomato pasata, coconut cream depending on recipe), some veg of you like and it’s done by the time the rice is cooked. And we also use a rice cooker, so even easier.

6 Likes

ha ha You must have read my mind…hubby mixed curry with coconut milk, added it to cooked chicken from the night before, some veggies, and threw it over rice…it was delicious and easy and one pan (except for the rice cooker!)…yummmy

5 Likes

Those spiced eggs look amazing! I am thinking that is dinner tonight.

4 Likes

We made it tonight! We’ve had food sensitivity testing recently to help figure out some tummy trouble, teenmanboy has the most items on his list. I showed him how to make this with ground chicken and served alongside pan fried broccoli and sliced tofu. We went over options to change it up flavour wise. He liked it and seemed reasonably encouraged about cooking it himself. It’s been so difficult for him not having any easy snack foods. He’s seeing that with a few quick recipes it’s still possible to have something tasty to eat in only a few minutes.

3 Likes

Can he eat roasted chickpeas? They are my go-to crunch snack food…or how about fried tofu? Does he like shrimp? Dried shrimp is like eating peanuts…

2 Likes

I’ll try to roasting some chickpeas for him. Dried shrimp? Wow, I’ll have to look for that! He does like tofu.

I have to try this, it sounds wonderful.

1 Like

If he likes seafood, you should have him try dried cuttlefish…it is stringy like string cheese and chewy…mild flavor…also, seaweed snacks are big, too…crunchy like chips…does he have a sweet tooth? sweet bean paste is yummy and made from azuki beans…

You need to get yourself to an Asian market…many of the snacks are a bit weird but natural…I love mochi (rice flour, no gluten), sweet bean candy, rice paper candy, roasted green peas, rice crackers, sesame seed crackers…better yet, take him to explore

4 Likes

@AIMR We love egg roll in a bowl and make it about once a week!

I like semi-prepping by reusing the same protein throughout the week (or freezing half to cut down on cooking later on). I’ll slow cook or smoke a big pork roast that we’ll eat with collards and green beans, then make leftovers into carnitas to have with tostones over salad, maybe at some later point make a sweet potato chili similar to this one

Also lots of curries both thai and indian, though I’ve yet to crack the code on repeatable indian curry recipes. Thai ones are super easy (3 cans of coconut milk, jarred curry paste, vegetables, chicken, boom).

Fish taco bowls are a good one when we don’t need leftovers for lunches (because reheating leftover fish is never as good). I basically coat tilapia in a mix of spicy Mrs. Dash and chili lime salt, broil it, and we eat it over homemade coleslaw. Sometimes also with tostones. Alternatively if we’re low on leftovers I’ll make salmon croquettes for lunch for me and the baby. I’ll eat them over salad and she gets a more deconstructed salad :wink:

3 Likes

There’s a huge one downstairs from the Sheraton where you stayed :grin:
For a friend’s bday we bought all sorts of weirdness like squid potato chips, so smelly lol.
He can’t have rice but he likes millet so at least there is still a grain he can eat.
We won’t eat cuttle, not after watching a documentary about how smart they are. They are incredible!

You cook like me! I do big batches and freeze a lot. We’re home around 5:30-6, it’s late to start cooking from scratch so I try to pre-prepare a lot of things. The kids cook many of their own meals as well. They do dishes too. That’s right, I’m a task master :wink:

1 Like

One of my very fave dishes is cheeseburger gnocchi. Typically I double this recipe: https://www.kevinandamanda.com/cheeseburger-gnocchi-recipe/

Hope you enjoy it too!

6 Likes

I can’t eat pasta any more so this looks like a good alternative!!

2 Likes

We had soft tacos tonight, :taco: Tuesday! Mister man’s been doing some meal planning, last Costco trip he pre-cooked all the meat & froze portions. It took 22 minutes to get dinner on the table tonight. Good thing too because we got home late.

3 Likes

I keep saying I’m going to precook stuff in weekends but never get around to it lol

2 Likes

This week is…

Tortilla Soup (super easy, cook chicken in crockpot, shred, add to equal parts veg (or beef) broth, chicken broth, and salsa. Top with shredded monterey jack cheese and fried tortillas.

Spicy Thai Noodles - this recipe was originally recommended to me by @AcadianDriftwood in an alternate webiverse

Egg, potato, and bacon frittata

Chicken and rice casserole with leftover chicken from crockpot - speaking of which, anyone have any go-to chicken and rice casserole recipes? I have a couple to choose from, but can always get more ideas!

2 Likes

This looks so good! I know I’ll be making this one!

2 Likes

I fork poked a butternut squash all over yesterday morning & had one of the kids put it into the oven after school so it was cooked when we got home from work. I could have eaten just that, so delicious. We had it w rice, veggies, and some pre-sauteed chicken just warmed up. That’s my favourite dinner, mostly veg and everything ready in around 20 mins. Does it sound boring?

2 Likes

I hope you love it as much as we did!

2 Likes