What are your go to weeknight dinner recipes?

I think we’ll be eating shakshuka as well tonight! We’ll get paid on Thursday and I don’t want to go grocery shopping before then, so I’m looking for recipes to use up whatever we have left in the fridge/freezer/pantry.

Don’t worry, it’s not a financial issue, just me being stubborn and wanting to stay within the monthly grocery budget :laughing:

7 Likes

Shakshuka is our favorite dinner. :grinning:

Shakshuka places to eat near me

4 Likes

Welcome! That looks yummy and easy to prepare!

2 Likes

Hey gang, calling in the Pro.s here:

I have a friend struggling with some health issues in need of some good ideas for salt substitutes. She’s in a “no salt, no sugar” situation and is allergic to onions so the easy go-tos like “Mrs. dash” spice blends are out.
She’s in a place where she needs easy solutions rather than tricky mKe-your-own recipes for too much stuff.
But all the foods she usually prepares taste wrong/not good without salt so she’s suffering with emotions on top of physical discomfort,
Any advice appreciated. I know this wild and wonderful group must have some ideas. :slight_smile:

There’s soy sauce with less salt, but there would still be some salt content so it would depend on what her dietary restrictions are. It still has the umami flavour but less salt.

There’s also sodium free salt (KCl instead of NaCl) but that’s also something she’d need to check with her doctor if it’s ok.

As for salt free but flavourful seasoning… I like smoked paprika, lots of flavour there and I put it in/on everything. It’s nice on popcorn, even without the salt.

2 Likes

Lemon is a fair sub for salt but also potasium chloride which looks & tastes like salt but isn’t. Care must be taken, potassium can lower blood pressure & affect kidneys.

Spice & herb mixes with dried powdered celery can be salt-like.

And patience. Taste buds will adjust in time.

2 Likes

Yes, adding acid means not needing (as much) salt. So adding lemon or vinegar should help, depending on what she’s making.

There are a lot of recipes for salt-free spice blends. If she has a well filled spice rack, it would take maybe 5 or 10 minutes to mix up a jar. She could just skip the sugar and the onion powder. It’s a bit of extra work initially, but it would mean she can maybe make her “normal” dishes, but without ingredients she can’t eat.

This is something I haven’t personally tried, just thought this up, but cheese is added to a dish to add a greasy, salty kick. A vegan alternative for that savoury flavour is nutritional yeast. It really tastes cheesy when added to a pasta dish, for example. Could nutrional yeast work as a salt substitute in food? Plus I think it’s actually healthy.

Oh ya, hing is an excellent replacement for garlic & onion. It smells terrible until its fried in oil, then it smell wonderful! Easy to digest if alliums are not.

1 Like

You guys rock. I knew I could count on you!

1 Like

I totally understand where you’re coming from! It’s easy to fall into a rut with weeknight dinners, even with the convenience of the crock pot. If you’re looking to shake things up a bit, how about incorporating some Instapot chicken recipes into your rotation? They’re relatively quick and easy to make, perfect for those busy evenings. One of my personal favorites is lemon garlic chicken—it’s flavorful, light, and pairs well with a variety of sides. Another option could be chicken tikka masala—it’s a deliciously comforting dish that’s sure to spice up your dinner routine. And if you’re in the mood for something a bit more exotic, consider trying a Thai coconut curry chicken. With the Instapot, you’ll have a flavorful meal on the table in no time, and it’s a great way to add some variety to your weeknight dinners!

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

All good suggestions that sound yummy!

I am going to have to try a whole bunch of these. Great topic.

One of my go to recipes is hot and sour soup

Green bean casserole/tatertot casserole is a family favorite. Here is an opinionated piece about how we make it.

2 Likes